Best cycling sunscreen?

jonginge
jonginge Posts: 5,945
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
As per title.

I came back from the Magnificat looking like a lobster. For those of you who have met me this will not have come as a shock. However, I did put screen on but re-applying during a 7hr sportive isn't that convenient. I'm also fairly sure I sweated it off fairly early.

I've got the marmotte in just over a week and don't particularly want to go beyond the lobster stage to burnt roast dinner ;)

What do you peeps use?
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    p20 previously now p10

dogs danglies and no need to re-apply after initial morning rub (as it were)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    Looks good. Cheers, MM
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • But it does seem to react with my Coolmax jerseys to leave a yellowish stain that takes a bit of rubbing to wash off. However, as MM says, it works very well and is worth it's eye-watering price.
  • MonkeyMonster
    But it does seem to react with my Coolmax jerseys to leave a yellowish stain that takes a bit of rubbing to wash off. However, as MM says, it works very well and is worth it's eye-watering price.

yeah, it can occasionally show up on white gear but does then wash out - not perm stain though.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    p20 previously now p10

Yep - what he said - and a little pot of Piz Buin skiing face block in the jersey pocket for sensitive bits like your nose and ears - re-apply at the drink stops.

Jon = :oops:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    p20 previously now p10

+ 100000000 to this - it's fantastic stuff. Non-greasy, single application needed, and it really does work for the whole day (and I'm speaking as someone who burns in the shade).

Though, MM, I think P10 is an additional product as I bought some P20 just a week ago.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    The Piz Buin 'Mountain Range' is good for sports and can be had in ranges from like 15 up to like 50 I believe.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That stuff what David Millar uses!

There was something on Cake Stop recently.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MonkeyMonster
    p20 basically stops me from even tanning all day in the italian sun. P10 now allows tanning.

Both are available :) Me bad usage of englush, sorry :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    [quote="MonkeyMonster" Me bad usage of englush, sorry :D[/quote]

It's not bad for a chimp, so you're excused. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TommyEss
    Did not know about P10 - thanks Monkey man... (I have the same problem - I want to get some colour - just don't want the strips of red I got at the Worlds last year!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Coriander wrote:
    p20 previously now p10

+ 100000000 to this - it's fantastic stuff. Non-greasy, single application needed, and it really does work for the whole day (and I'm speaking as someone who burns in the shade).

Though, MM, I think P10 is an additional product as I bought some P20 just a week ago.

+ several more.

Had never encountered it before we went to France, amazing stuff.
  • jonginge
    Hmmm, what to buy. If you could have been a bit more unequivocal it would have helped. :D

Cheers all.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Where can you get this P10 stuff?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MonkeyMonster
    Where can you get this P10 stuff?

amazon or boots are places I know you can. no doubt others :)
  • TommyEss
  • meanredspider
    TommyEss wrote:

yup - I really just wanted a real shop.

It's only SPF 10 which kinda defeats the point of it being "all day" - unless, like me, you're cycling in Scotland.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • TommyEss
    If you want proper all day, then go for the P20 - as the primate said - he didn't even tan whilst using P20, hence his switch to P10.

(I got mine from Boots - just always wanted the opportunity to "LMGTFY" someone...Sozz!)
  • MonkeyMonster
    TommyEss wrote:

yup - I really just wanted a real shop.

It's only SPF 10 which kinda defeats the point of it being "all day" - unless, like me, you're cycling in Scotland.

its not like a standard factor rating tbh. I tan quite easily - i used p20 for over 16 hours in italian sun while swimming, lounging on the beach etc and it took over a week to start showing a bit of a tan. P10 will allow me to now tan. Unless you're ginge(r) then p10 should be enough in british sun tbh.
  • meanredspider
    TommyEss wrote:

(I got mine from Boots - just always wanted the opportunity to "LMGTFY" someone...Sozz!)

no worries :wink:
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    p20 previously now p10

+1 :D

its £13 & £20 at tesco the smaller one better if you also commute like me and need to carry a bottle.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • meanredspider
    I don't need it at 7am in the Highlands :roll: . Lip balm in the winter but not sunscreen. I'm off to the Algarve and plan to get a few miles in (as well as some sailboarding) :D
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Whatever we have lying around for the kids - normally somewhere between factor 45 and 60. Had some on for London-Brighton and not a hint of redness - well, not on the exposed areas anyway!
  • jonginge
    Sourced some P20 from Boots at lunchtime. Thanks all
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I don't need it at 7am in the Highlands :roll: . Lip balm in the winter but not sunscreen. I'm off to the Algarve and plan to get a few miles in (as well as some sailboarding) :D

Hehe I dont need it at 4.30am in england but I do need it at 2pm on the way home. I have tanned nicely on the P20 but then I'm fair skinned.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I bought P20 as a result of this thread, and after an extensive test (4 days mountain biking, plus a triathlon, all in hot, cloudless conditions), I'd recommend it to anyone! It works even when you're sweating and after you've been swimming.

The only word of caution I'd give is that, as it's alcohol based, it gets absorbed very easily, so make sure you've covered all your exposed skin before heading out; I have a strangely sunburned patch on one shoulder where I must have missed applying lotion.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Good topic!

I actually read about P20 elsewhere and brought a couple today. Getting burnt is just not a risk I fancy taking :)