SPD issues

Eskimo427
Eskimo427 Posts: 288
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I'm the lucky owner of a Scott Spark 20 which is fitted with Shimano PD-M520 pedals. I have used the bike for 2 events, one being last weeks Mountain Mayhem and on both occasions I've ended up with very sore knees. It usually takes at least 5hrs for the issue to kick in hence my reason for noticing it before or on the way to work.

My reason for concluding the petals are the issue is I've done both events before using flats and had no issues, I'm also sure I've read\heard of other people having the issue.

Apart from going back to flats can anyone suggest any other alternatives?

Thanks

Comments

• could well be positioning of the cleats on your shoes?? or have heard that a frame on the small side can highlight knee pain??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I gave up on Shimano pedals years back as they didn't agree with my knees... although that came on much quicker than the 5 hours you mentioned, usually within an hour. At the time I switched to Eggbeaters and then to various derivatives thereof and the pain disappeared. I put it down to having that bit more float in the pedal.

I use Time pedals on the road bike (which if anything should be even more harsh on the knees) and they're absolutely fine as well.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    Thanks for the replies.

My mate gave up on Shimano too as he had the same problem.

Does anyone know if there is a chart or diagram showing what effect on the legs moving the cleats backwards and forward has?

meesterbond would you say the Time pedals are better than the eggbeaters and if so in what way?

Thanks
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't understand giving up on shimano spds. It's nothing about them, it's only the amount of horizontal float that's the issue. Not sure what sh-51? cleats have but say it's 15 deg position the cleat to your 'middle' riding position with the shoes and you'll get 7.5 each way - that's enough isn't it? to not cause any peblems?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, if you simply can not get the right position with cleats, then maybe flats is the only option left.
    I haven't ridden with SPDs in years, but since i dislocated my knee, my leg now rests in a different position, and my physio told me to stay well clear from SPDs, or i'll be getting problems again.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I did have problems with SPD's to start with but I had to fiddle about with them for a while and now they're perfect, your LBS should be able to help you set them up if you got them from there