How much travel do you really need?

desmojen
desmojen Posts: 136
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hi all. I'm new here, and newly back into riding. I'm 38, female and curently not overly fit.

I know this may have been done to death, but it does seem to be one of those subjects that is constantly changing (and the search didn't bring much up)

I currently ride a Giant Trance, the old style 4" travel one. I've had it for 5 years and done loads of road mileage on it, but not masses of off road. Then followed a long period of inactivity due to illness and a recent resurgence in a quest to regain some fitness and lose some weight gained while inactive.
I'm now doing a lot of trail riding and enjoying the Trance, and also spent a fair bit on it replacing worn out stuff and doing the odd upgrade.
It seems though that my bike is pretty heavy compared to newer stuff, and the birght lights in the mags draw you in...
So, as is the way of these things I now find myself pondering a new bike. Now I've always ridden short travel full sussers (last bike was a Giant MCM980) and I get on with them fine, but it seems that everywhere I look there are longer and longer travel options. I have become enamoured of the Santa Cruz Blur LT but can't afford one, then spotted the Giant Anthem which looks right up my street.

So I'm wondering really, do I really need more travel? I am no jumpist, probably never will be due to a severe lack of bravery. I am pretty heavy, but not a clutz or particularly ham fisted as a rider. I mostly ride trails, singletrack etc.
There is such a bewildering array of options out there and I find myself completely bamboozled with it all. What sort of thing should I look at, do the women specific geometry bikes really make a difference? Also, how does one go about getting a test ride?

So, any suggestions, observations and general waffle on the subject gratefully accepted :)

Jen.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So you've got 4" both ends and mostly used on the road...

For the road 2" just at the front will serve you well.

I'd say you've over suspended - even if it's set hard it extra weight that you don't need.

Buy a HT for when mostly on the road and use the FT when doing something a bit more extreme.

Womens specific - it'll be painted in a pallet colour with a lower top tube that prob about it.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hey Jen

The best thing is go and try a few, both women specific and not as they're basically designed for lighter riders with different body proportions and the aren't necessarily right for you. However don't expect a lot of shops to have them in stock to try, so be patient. A good bike shop will bend over backwards to get hold of one for you to try if at all possible.

I'd recommend the scott range, either the spark or contessa spark depending on which fit you better as they're cracking little bikes. Obviously anything you get from the big manufacturers is going to be good, so just try as much as you can and buy whichever fits you the best.

On the travel question, if you're happy with 4" then stick with it. More travel pretty much always adds weight or cost, and if you get around fine with 4" now then it is unlikely you're going to need more!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Whilst you might not need the travel, you also have to consider the task the bike is designed for. In my experiance 4" bikes these days are designed around a XC Race role so tend to be build with weight saving in mind, which means more " spent a fair bit on it replacing worn out stuff".

If you do decide to chance, look at 5" bikes, modern ones climb so well now and they seem, pretty robust. Stumpjumper, the only bike you'll ever need.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    140mm-plus bikes are pretty good. Compared to short-travel bikes the extra travel is not that noticeable except when things start to go pear-shaped or if you are on unfamiliar territory.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The best advice i can probably give you, is "go and try some out", you won't know what you like until you've ridden a few bikes. I think 5" these days is your sort of generic go-anywhere type bike, perfect for pretty much all riding. Mostly light enough for XC, perfect trail centre beast, heavy duty enough for a bit of light freeride.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    Hi Jen,

I'm no expert but happy to share my observations :) I used to ride Full suss, then got a hard tail and then met my partner. She was heavily into mountain biking and went for a Juliana. Several upgrades later it's a pretty light bike.

As I understand it WSD frames generally have a much shorter top tube, so none of that stretching out when hitting the rough stuff and come much smaller.

The age old question of travel. I have a 150mm at the front have been very very happy with it and as it's a HT it's pretty light. However, when I was getting my forks serviced I rented a Trek Top Fuel at my local trail center (Cannock Chase) did the new trail there which I had done a few times on my HT.

Shock horror, It was a different experience but not enough to make me rush out and get a FS (however I am looking at one anyway) but IMHO unless you're doing mad jumps, insane drop offs or gifted when it comes to black runs you're average rider isn't going to need much more over 100mm. That's just my opinion and that's for a full suss.

I have also looked at the Blur LT and the thing that put me off was the weight (I quite like flying up the climbs) but the superlight doesn't have VPP :(

I think it's been said a million times, but go ride the bikes at a centre, preferably one you know and take it from there. :)

As it's always going to be down to your preference :)
  • desmojen
    desmojen Posts: 136
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. My opinion seems to be pretty much in agreeance with T1berious. I think that I think I want more travel just because that's what everyone seems to be doing now. If that makes any sense :lol:

I don't just use it on the road any more, it's mainly doing trail miles now, and will be visiting that Wales for the first time soon.
    I will have to find some test bikes somewhere and have a play...

Jen.
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    I can heartily recommend Cannock Chase, Swinnertons are really good and they ask all the right questions when they setup a bike for you prior to you arriving (SPD's, weight, etc). First time I've ever rented and it was a painless experience. checked sag and then I was off. (you want to book well in advance though)

If you're looking at Wales (and I say this under advisement) IMHO the Monkey Trail is a really good way to mentally prepare for it. There's some good technical rocky descents, steps and drops so if you finish it grinning, you're ready for the likes of Coed Y Brenin.

I'll probably get stoned for saying this but I reckon of the sections I rode at Afan, Cannock is better.

Let the stoning begin. :)

Best of luck in your search for cycling Nirvana!

T1b
  • thesim1990
    thesim1990 Posts: 95
    Depends on your application really. I ride 120mm front and back and that suits me very well, I haven't even used full travel on the front fork yet but that is still in the process of being setup properly.

IMO 120 for me suits the British trails quite nicely.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Womens specific - it'll be painted in a pallet colour with a lower top tube that prob about it.

More than likely a shorter one.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3