Oh Lordy! another 'what hybrid should I buy' question.

SickAsAParrot
SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hay guy's

I'm one week away from being able to apply for a Cyclescheme bike yadda yadda...

I already commute to work, on a Carerra Subway 1, which I really enjoy riding, it's comfortable, reasonably quick and can stand up to a fair pounding, my route is half road, half towpath/dirt tracks tree roots etc.

Anyway, my Subway is nearly worn out, again, so I'm looking for something 'nicer' around the £500-600 mark, something skinny cyclists won't take the p*ss out of when the fly past at 300mph, but can still take some bumps.

Locally I've got Swinnertons and Rourkes which cover most of the big brands, and my short list currently consists of:

Scott Sub 30
Trek Valencia
Giant Seek 3
Kona Dew Deluxe

Also maybe Trek 7.3 and Specialized Sirrus but I think the wheels may be too skinny for the rougher parts.

Marin, Ridgeback and GT also available locally

I don't want front sus so no crosstrails, adds too much weight I'm fat enough as it is, also not sure about weather to go for disks. I hate V brakes with a passion but the impression I get is they are still easier to maintain than disks.

I'm erring towards the Giant, or the Scott if I decide not to have disks, any thoughts?

Cheers! Ady.

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    One vote for the Kona. Have a look at the dew drop too.
  • I'm not keen on drops, I've got a proper road bike too but my portly frame makes it difficult to reach the brake levers. I can ride it but I find flat bars more comfortable. I also go through two very nice countrified areas and it's easier to enjoy the scenery when I'm upright.