SS/fixed gear ratios. what do you use?

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
thinking of raiding the scrap bikes out the back of the shop to put a fixed pub bike together as will most likely get some cogs made (sell the rest) to fit on the disc mount..

thats the back ground. the bike will be running 700c x 24 tyres and will be a sit up position.
currently on the SS MTB i run a 32:15.

and the run to the pub is flat and not to far :wink: this more of finding a reason to build another bike :oops: and i have some tyres i need to use.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I live in Devon where it is hilly

My old single speed used to be 42:16 which with 700c x 28mm tyres gave about a 70" gear
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I use 36x16 for my commute, could be better for the flats but I am in no hurry and the hills are still easily manageable (this is on 26x1.75 wheels/tyres though)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    48:16 but there are very few hills in London.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    48:15, again in London so not much in the way of hills on the commute.
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    46x16 on 650a wheels.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    42 x 16 on my 700 x 23 tyres.

Gets me up the local hills (1 in 5 / 1 in 6) and bowls along the flats nicely 18-22mph
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Sleepycol
    Sleepycol Posts: 66
    48:16 on 26" wheels and 1.5 tyres. Works fine for me, but will probably depend ho how long you stop at the pub.
    Interviewer: ‘So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?’

Frank Zappa: ‘You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?”
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    48x18 on 700x25c

9 miles on fairly flat route (a couple of very small hills).

It's what came with the bike.
    On good days I think about changing down to 17 at the back, but then I hit a headwind and change my mind.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Alternate between 51x15 and 51x18 every few weeks.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    42:16 on 700x28c on a partially hilly commute. Also 48:16 on my other fixed for the same commute if I'm feeling up to it :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    48:18. Works out at 72". One real bump, otherwise pretty flat.

Enough to bring a bead of sweat to the brow and keep my scalp in tact most of the time :shock: !
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    48:18 with 165mm cranks and 23mm wheels. Just about perfect for commuting in flat London, though the most fun bits are often the short sharp hills!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    46/14, soon to be 48/14. But I'm in London, it's v flat.

Oh and 170mm cranks + 26mm tyres. But I don't know why you need to know that!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

Leverage, LiT, leverage: shorter cranks reduce the leverage your legs apply to the cranks, so increase the effective Gear Ratio. If that doesn't make sense there are various ways to describe it better, but I don't know which would help you most...

Similarly, the tyre size affects the wheel diameter- if you go from 23c slicks to 37c knobbies on a CX bike you increase your GI.

The tyre size will be factored in already if you calculate & quote Gear Inches properly, but not the crank length. If you want to be able to include that then you can use Sheldon's "Gain ratio" number... but no-one will know what you are talking about down the pub. :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    700*25 on 46/16 tyres, not had any issues around bristol with the gearing other than being spinny at 28mph+
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    redvee wrote:
    700*25 on 46/16 tyres, not had any issues around bristol with the gearing other than being spinny at 28mph+

Your frame must be an odd shape.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    44:17 running on 700x25c quite hilly but i just see it as good training :)
  • lost_in_thought

Leverage, LiT, leverage: shorter cranks reduce the leverage your legs apply to the cranks, so increase the effective Gear Ratio. If that doesn't make sense there are various ways to describe it better, but I don't know which would help you most...

Similarly, the tyre size affects the wheel diameter- if you go from 23c slicks to 37c knobbies on a CX bike you increase your GI.

The tyre size will be factored in already if you calculate & quote Gear Inches properly, but not the crank length. If you want to be able to include that then you can use Sheldon's "Gain ratio" number... but no-one will know what you are talking about down the pub. :-)

Cheers,
    W.

Ahhhhhhh. I do factor in wheel size, but not tyre size - the one I use is a simple table.

I'm also appalled that I've been working for american hedge funds so long that my brain now reads 'leverage' as 'LEV(rhymes with kev)er-idge' rather than 'LEE-ver-idge'

Grrr.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Cheers,
    W.

Ahhhhhhh. I do factor in wheel size, but not tyre size - the one I use is a simple table.

I'm also appalled that I've been working for american hedge funds so long that my brain now reads 'leverage' as 'LEV(rhymes with kev)er-idge' rather than 'LEE-ver-idge'

Grrr.
    Et, voila! http://www.appbrain.com/app/org.bikecalgary.fixedgears
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Grrr.
    Et, voila! http://www.appbrain.com/app/org.bikecalgary.fixedgears

Duly downloaded! :D
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    42x14 700 23c

one hil but generally flat London commute.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056

Rabbit calculates them all :D

http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/ ... pplet.html
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nick, if you a going to ride a fixie you must grow a beard and start wearing braces to hold your slacks up.

:twisted:
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Oddjob62 wrote:

This is the one I use. Very comprehensive :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DevUK wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:

This is the one I use. Very comprehensive :)

+1

Cheers,
    W.
  • nicklouse
    supersonic
    one word Fivefingers.

cheers for the feed back and the calcs. yes i know about them but it was not the question. :wink:

now to build 2 front wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I have 46x18 on my Carlton. With 700x32c it's about 69". I'm thinking about lowering it.

Oh - cranks are 170mm.

My Rudge is also 46x18 (46t is awfully common on cottered chainsets), on 26x1 3/4", which still works out at about 69". And that definitely needs lowering. No idea of the crank length. But I don't commute on the Rudge (haven't as yet, anyway ;) )
    Riding on 531
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    48-15 and there hills of sorts that require MTFU
    50-17 but only one brake
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • nicklouse
    cheers all. think i will be starting with 16T as it seems to give the most future options.

now to make some mods to a fork and some bars. must find a suitable frame though as the other fixed build on here has got me thinking.