Chester to Widnes - Via the Runcorn Bridge?

SlightlyFuzzy
SlightlyFuzzy Posts: 18
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hey folks,

As per the subject - I'm wanting to commute from Chester to Widnes [and back], and I think I need some advice;

My work base has changed recently, so I've been driving [boo!] from Chester to Widnes with the hope of figuring out the [unnecesarily complicated?] road network around Runcorn/Widnes before cycling it....

Does anyone cycle this sort of route at the mo?

Am I allowed to cycle along the entirity of the Freeways?
I've not seen any signs indicating otherwise, but I've also - so far - only seen cyclists on sporadically placed pavements, especially when it comes to the dreaded bridge...

Am I allowed to cycle in the traffic lanes accross the bridge?
If not - is there any way of getting to the pavement from my initial direction of travel [Chester-Widnes] without severe bodily trauma/sterss? [what with there being a complete pavement only on the opposite side of a desperately busy 4-lane road].

Any help/experiential anecdotes would be truly and very gratefully accepted,

SF

[PS I reserve the right to edit this post so it makes more sense/makes me look like less of an idiot, when I've overcome the trauma of driving home this evening!]

Comments

• pablojag
    pablojag Posts: 25
    Hi
    I live locally & driving it won't really help you suss it out. Use the following on our club runs (so ok on skinny tyres).

A few answers to your questions first.
    1. You can cycle on the Expressways (Freeways), the cars still get pretty close despite there being 2 lanes, some of the cycle paths by them are pretty good though.
    2. You can cycle over the bridge, but i wouldn't recommend it on your own.

I'm guessing you'll be coming through Helsby & Frodsham? Once you reach the Swing bridge over the Weaver you have 2 options.
    1. Turn left onto A557, just after turning for Industrial estate join path on the left of the road & follow road for 1m. You come up a very short steep section & come out near a set of traffic lights (busway & bus garage straight ahead) turn left onto Clifton Road.

or..

2. Continue on up A56 Chester Road, turn left onto Wood Lane, then turn right. At traffic lights cross straight over onto cycle path following it to the left (with railway on your left). This will bring you out in Betchworth Crescent, rejoin road & turn right onto Beechwood Avenue, at traffic lights continue straight on Clifton Road.

Follow this onto Moughland lane, turn right at the Cenotaph onto Greenway Road, follow this heading down towards Runcorn Old Town..you'll pass under one of the Bridge approach roads the next left (where cars are turning off the bridge) is where you join the Bridge path (most stressful bit).

Hope this helps
  • Thanks very much - that's exactly what I needed to know (and yes - I'll be coming through Helsby/Frodsham).
    You do club runs around the area? If you don't mind me asking - which club?

Oh, and you're right - driving it wasn't really helping at all.

Thanks again,
    SF
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    There is a club some of the Runcorn locals (me) are members of, see the link in my sig, would be a bit of a ride or drive for you though...

Where exactly are you commuting to? I occasionally commute from Runcorn to the Jag factory in Speke so know a few routes to that area.
  • pablojag
    pablojag Posts: 25
    Club is the VC Halton. May have passed you at the Mills without knowing.