Keep it clean

Muddy1182
Muddy1182 Posts: 146
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Basically im wondering what you do with your camel back bladder once you've cleaned it? Do u dry it? Freeze it? If you dry it, how? How do u keep it open whilst it drys.

Cheers guys and gals.

Hope your enjoying the sunshine!

Comments

• Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    I just use the camelbak drying hanger and let it air dry...........no harm in a few little germs, does wonders for the immune sysem !!!
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Use it

Rinse it (I don't bother drying it out)

Freeze it
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    To dry mine out I just squeeze a tea towel and my hand in and dry it like drying your dishes...

Works a treat and doesnt clog up your freezer ;)

Depends on whether you can fit your hand in it though, good job Camelbaks have large holes.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Andy B wrote:
    Use it

Freeze it

This ^^
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I leave it filled with water and little baby bottle cleaner. Only since I "lost" it under the stairs and the tube wnet balck and manky! :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • i just rinse it, stick a piece of kitchen paper in it so it stays open, and hang it up off the washing line.
  • Broonster wrote:
    Andy B wrote:
    Use it

Freeze it

This ^^
    This ^^^^
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Briggo wrote:
    To dry mine out I just squeeze a tea towel and my hand in and dry it like drying your dishes...

Works a treat and doesnt clog up your freezer ;)

Depends on whether you can fit your hand in it though, good job Camelbaks have large holes.

This, then stored in the fridge
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    i just rinse it, stick a piece of kitchen paper in it so it stays open, and hang it up off the washing line.

That's what I do.

I only ever fill it with water, no energy drink or additives.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Muddy1182
    Cheers Guys.

Brought some Milton solution (Baby bottle cleaner) today to give it a clean. Been filled with blackcurant for 2 weeks.

Rinsed it out, now its in the freezer.

Will find out if it works tomorrow night.

Cheers again.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I normally empty it out after a ride and hang it in the garage with a coat hanger - buy the rip off kit if you want to do it 'properly'.

I forgot to empty it last time and have just simply turned the bladder inside out and wiped the mould off. I pulled the hose off and cleaned with pipe cleaner. I then dipped it in Milton sterylising soloution (anyone mad enough to buy Camelbak tablets?) for fifteen mins, wiped bladder and turned it back to the way it should - coat hanger now in opening again although probably no need as dry.
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Mines nice and clean and dry and hanging up in the shower lol.....I don't use the shower much, prefer a soak ;):lol:
    Caz xx
  • Muddy1182
    Mines nice and clean and dry and hanging up in the shower lol.....I don't use the shower much, prefer a soak
    Caz xx

No chance of any of my bike bits getting into the house, let alone the bathroom! :lol:
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Good grief! our house is full of bike bits lol.....3 bikes in the kitchen, 3 tyres on the stairs, camael back in the shower, bike spares box in the livingroom...ad most of its all mine lol....hubby doesn't get a say in the matter ;)
    Caz xx
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Good grief there seems to be a lot of faff involved in this...

I only ever have water in my so I don't empty it until I'm about to use it again...no need for cleaning or drying or anything, it gets chucked in the garage along with the rest of the backpack and then when it's time to use it again, I just fill the bladder up (I do admit to emptying the content out though before refilling) and go.

Probably would be different if I used a load of overpriced supplement powders, if that were the case then I'd rinse it out once back from the ride and leave it with the cap off...

Assuming you have an ice cube tray in the freezer it will probably fit flat in there and not take up any space so the freezer might be a place to try as well - but it wouldn't really dry it.

Just seems like a lot of faff to go to just for a water container...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I empty out any water left in the bladder, disconnect and blow out the hose so its more or less clear then connect the hose back up, fold it into a neat little 'parcel', pop it into a Morrisons carrier bag to keep it small and bang it in the freezer.

I have forgottend to blow out the hose :oops: and next ride out means you have to wait for the hose to defrost before being able to suck fresh water through it :(

Takes less than a minute post ride and mine has remained clean and fresh !
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    It takes just a few minutes to clean it out with milton fluid (so my wife tell's me :D )
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    DickBarton wrote:
    Good grief there seems to be a lot of faff involved in this...

I only ever have water in my so I don't empty it until I'm about to use it again...no need for cleaning or drying or anything, it gets chucked in the garage along with the rest of the backpack and then when it's time to use it again, I just fill the bladder up (I do admit to emptying the content out though before refilling) and go.

Probably would be different if I used a load of overpriced supplement powders, if that were the case then I'd rinse it out once back from the ride and leave it with the cap off...

Assuming you have an ice cube tray in the freezer it will probably fit flat in there and not take up any space so the freezer might be a place to try as well - but it wouldn't really dry it.

Just seems like a lot of faff to go to just for a water container...

YUK! Take a look at the mould on your bladder or in the tube - YUK! unless you are using it daily. Mine went mouldy after a week or just less - water only.
  • Hyufsko
    Hyufsko Posts: 37
    "(I do admit to emptying the content out though before refilling)"

lol

Specialized FSRxc Comp '10
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    Rince with water after a ride, or the next day. Leave inside out to dry. Never used any sterilisation stuff on it and I'm still alive! Have forgotten and left it for a month once (was injured and could not ride) Had some black furry stuff in when I next came to use it... Just a good wash did the trick. :wink:
  • Clean it then stick a kitchen whisk thingy in it til dry.
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I used to clean and dry mine regularly, these days I don't really bother, and it seems to do alright. I was using energy stuff more often then, only on water these days- I'd clean it after an energy drink. It gets a proper milton-ing maybe once a month-ish. I've left it after a ride with water in for a fortnight before with no ill effects, so maybe I'm just the proud owner of a magic camelbac!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    i usually just rinse mine out with fresh water then bung it in the freezer 'til the next time i need to use it, i only ever have water in it so it spose that helps keep it clean and fresh.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Ued to only use water, bung in cupboard until next ride, empty & refill and repeat. 4 years down the line I now use energy powder so it gets a wash and a milton to avoid the mould but I try not to worry too much and it seems to be holding up ok...

But on the pluss side, my bike is spotless and lubed after every ride :lol: