Flying with a bike; Jet2- are they strict with weights?

Mefster
Mefster Posts: 54
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Off to Italy for a couple of weeks with the family and have managed to persuade my wife that it will be a good idea if I take my bike. Just spoke to Jet2 who quoted £27.50 extra carriage each way- not unreasonable. I was worried that they quoted a maximum weight of 20kg with £10 per kg charge over this.

I've flown with BA and Ryanair with a bike before and never had a bike weighed. I was wondering if anyone had flown with Jet2 before, and if the airline checked if they were overweight. I'm sure my bike bag weighs more than 20kg with all the padding. I think I'll be in the dog house if we get stung with a £100 each way surcharge!

If it looks like they are strict, it's plan B. Does anyone know of a place that with hire decent road bikes in the Umbria/Tuscany area? I know of one hire place in Siena but we're closer to Cortona.

Any previous experiences would be really useful!

Comments

• cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    No, i've flown with them a couple of times with my bike, but they've not weighed it...unless it is a real tank it wont weigh over 20kg. They were picky with my friends bike that it was not wrapped in enough cardboard.... but they enlisted the most junior person on the desk to find some more board, he came back with a couple of old boxes and a roll of tape and it was deemed ok to fly!