Yet Another Cyclescheme Query

desweller
desweller Posts: 5,175
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

After 5 years of badgering and hassling, we've finally got our employers to launch the Cycle To Work Scheme.

I already have a fast roadie, so I'm looking for a utility/commuting/touring bike to replace my heavily modded hybrid - something with pannier rack mounts, triple chainset, and drop bars. Based on this rough spec the Genesis Croix de Fer looks pretty good but I wondered if the collective had any recommendations?

Cheers all!

Des
- - - - - - - - - -
On Strava.{/url}

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Kinesis Racelight T comes in just under a grand!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Thanks you two.

I'd looked at the CK7 before - not sure about Sora though, and I'm definitely not going Campag, what with all the Shimano kit I've acquired!

TommyEss, do you know what sort of tyre widths the Kinesis will accomodate?

After a bit more research last night, I'm sacking off the Genesis - wheelbase too short - and looking at the Kona Sutra or Condor Heritage - anyone had any experiences of these?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got a Condor Heritage on Cyclescheme last year. The bike is great, the frame is very nicely finished. The ride is very steady and stable when loaded and is very comfy. I am commuting on mine on days I need to take 2 panniers (28 mile round trip), and use it for camping/touring. On days I don't need bags I take my Planet-X SL pro, or if it is wet or winter, my Dawes Audax (531 steel), but the Heritage is the only one that can cope with the luggage.

If you only intend to load it lightly the Condor Fratello may be a good one for you, same front triangle as the Heritage, but the rear is lighter and a carbon rather than steel fork - more of an Audax bike.

The fitting service was very thorough. It cost a bit more than the £1k though (but I was able to add to it). A Deore / Tiagra setup will cost maybe £1200, but you can specify every component. I got Campag Veloce linear pull (like mini-V) brakes as these work with STI's, and I didn't want canti's.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Hi Des,

Not sure off the top of my head, but this review would suggest 23c with guards no bother, and 25c or 28c without guards.

That said, I'm sure we have guys on our club runs who run 25c with guards.

Kinesis' website states
    Both the ‘T2’ and ‘Tk2’ use longer headtubes for a more upright riding position and have rack mounts and ample clearance for full size ‘gaurds and larger winter tyres [long reach, 47/57mm brakes required]

Failing that, give them a call or email them.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...