Tour de France on BBC

Alpe d\'Huez Toiler
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Radio 4 are planning a programme this Thursday with Johnny Green, whose book Backstage at the Tour de France was just great. He's always worth listening to.

This is what the Radio Times says for 13:30:

Le Tour de France is the world's biggest annual sports event, bathed in history and controversy. It began as a publicity stunt organised by a struggling French newspaper, and now millions line the route every year. Academics claim the race taught the French what their country actually looked like. Contributors to the programme include Johnny Green, former road manager of The Clash and cycling nut, who sees the participants as rock and roll gods; Agnes Poirier who remembers being dragged to watch the race every year and wonders if the French will ever win again; and Michael Simkins, author of Detour de France, a journey in search of sophistication. The presenter is Dominic Arkwright, the producer Miles Warde.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh yes - I remember chatting with him in Bourg D'Oisans.

Is this a repeat of the prog that was on last week about the chances of getting a British winner ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    cougie wrote:
    Oh yes - I remember chatting with him in Bourg D'Oisans.

Is this a repeat of the prog that was on last week about the chances of getting a British winner ?

No, that was completely different to what is described above.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah I did think that it was, just funny for R4 to have two TdF programmes in the space of a week or so ? The more the merrier though !
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Great, cheers for the heads up. Thought the last R4 programme was excellent despite it obviously having to also cater for people with a passing interest in pro cycling. The stuff about the commitment required to ride the tour made my hairs stand on end.

Good on the beeb for stepping up its cycling coverage, despite sky muscling in.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Not a fan of Jonny Green when he is wheeled in for his pro cycling opinions.
    His waffle on the Road to Roubaix was a bit painful for my ears, wittering on about the race as if it was only ridden by the great gods. I love PR and Flanders but he exaggerated to the nth degree. His book was interesting but not one I could return to.
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    Great, cheers for the heads up. Thought the last R4 programme was excellent despite it obviously having to also cater for people with a passing interest in pro cycling. The stuff about the commitment required to ride the tour made my hairs stand on end.

Good on the beeb for stepping up its cycling coverage, despite sky muscling in.[/quote

By "muscling in" I assume you mean for investing in the sport in this country from the grass roots up when no other UK company has bothered to show any interest?

Um.... OK then...
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Yep, that's what I meant.

Wasn't a criticism at all - just an observation that sky spending big could have discouraged the bbc from covering the sport because it involves advertising a rival and makes them look reactive (which they have been).

Don't read between the lines if you're illiterate.
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Please forgive my illiteracy, it can be rather irksome at times.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    makes them look reactive (which they have been).

Reactive in that 5 Live has been at the Tour de France every year since 1994?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --