Havent been on a bicycle in 20yrs and need advice

Suki1
Suki1 Posts: 4
I am an older woman who hasnt been on a bicycle in about 20 yrs. I am intending to start going on leisure rides with the grandchildren and also intend to take the bike to shops etc. so I need something simple for light use. Terrrain will be mostly flat and I will be cycling in mild weather. I dont want to spend more than £250 but also dont want something that will be cumbersome and badly made that will put me off of cycling straight away. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I should look for?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hello there – This bike gets recommend in other forums on this site
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/vitamin-117071608/
    Simple, no gears, good for the flat, super cheap and well made – recommended
    Only draw back is there are not many Decathlon shops in the UK
    But if there is one near you then it is worth consideration
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    +1 for the Vitamin

What ever you do, don't buy a BSO (Bike Shaped Object) from Asda/Argos etc. They are rubbish and will put you off cycling.

My neighbour gave me his BSO as he hated it and I thought it would make an OK pub bike, but I don't even like using it for that. If I locked it up outside a pub and it got nicked, I'd be more gutted someone broke my lock than nicked my bike.

Assuming I was within walking distance from home.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    As above, you'll probably be fine on a single-speed. And far less maintenance than a derailleur. That vitamin looks great.

Still, if you can afford it, perhaps also look at models with 3 speed hubs, as they're becoming more popular, again.

Oh... and solid forks. Suspension in cheaper models just adds weight, and really doesn't work too well, and takes power out of your pedal stroke. (Will add squeak, squeak noises in a few months too). Solid forks, with large tyres and decent grips, will provide you with a ride smoother than you expect.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Whilst there is an argument for a simple single speed to cut down maintenance I believe us oldies need as much help as possible and gears will provide that help.

Buying a bike that is fully kitted out with mudguards (it might rain when you are already out) and a rack (for the shopping) with a ladies step through frame (just in case you don't want to wear the lycra) from a quality manufacturer should be your goal.

Like this Giant http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=15453

or this Raleigh http://www.mailorderbikes.com/products. ... b0s20p3242

Both of these bikes are within your price range and would be reliable, comfortable, well made and come from very reputable manufacturers. This is not an exhaustive list just the first 2 manufacturers I thought of.

I would further recommend that you go to a local bike shop to purchase rather than from a web site. You will get good advice, a ready built bike and after sales service. All of these are very important!

Bear in mind that most people who post on this forum (me included) are very happy to build and repair their own bikes and are very confident buying kit from the web.

Please accept my apologies if you are a fully fledged bike mechanic granny!
  • Suki1
    Thank you all for the informative replies, I was acturally looking at some bikes in the Argos/Tesco catalogues! Will go to the bicycle shop now and have a good look around. Must just decide whether single speed or gears are for me!
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Neither Tesco nor Argos actually sell bikes!

They sell Bike Shaped Objects that are very heavy, very badly made, very poor quality, made with cheap no-name components and are guaranteed to put you off of cycling forever.

Please, please, please, do not buy a BSO from these or Toys R Us or anywhere that sells anything non-bike related e.g. food, groceries, toys, clothes, etc.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A bike with a step-through aluminium frame will be easy to use and lightweight.
    Rigid steel forks are lighter than suspension.

For gears you can use a single-speed, 3-speed or derailleur gear system, eg 7-speed:
    Gears will let you ride with less pedalling force when you start up, when youi are carrying a shopping load and when you hit a slight rise or rough surface.
    Also consider the accessories you may need, eg mudguards, rear luggage rack.

singlespeed:
    Claud Butler Summer Bay

a 3-speed hub gear :
    Dawes Haarlem
    Ridgeback Avenida 3

or a derailleur system for 7speed +:
    Mongoose Crossway
    Claud Butler Boulevard
  • Suki1
    I am so pleased that i stumbled across this forum. If I hadnt, I most probably would have ended up with a dreaded Tesco bike! Thanks for all the replies, I feel much more informed and confident now and am looking forward to visiting the bicycle shop.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    If you don't have a Decathlon near you then you can buy online and have it delivered.They come flat packed but set up, you just have to turn the bars and put the pedals on.