Crunchy Knees

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I have developed a bit of a problem recently, my knees have never been great, but recenty they have become very 'crunchy' when cycling. The only way I can describe it is that the sound is similar to walking on gravel. There is however no pain, just a grinding, crunchy sound.

I am lothed to go to my doctor, as I am due to undergo my ENG1 (medical for seafaring fitness) so I don't want anything untowards on my medical record as of yet.

So any tips for some self care in the meantime and what it could possibly be?
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Isn't that a bit like leaving stuff out on your life insurance questionnaire? If it becomes a problem, and you haven't mentioned it, that might be more of a problem than if you let them know.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NGale
    rjsterry wrote:
    Isn't that a bit like leaving stuff out on your life insurance questionnaire? If it becomes a problem, and you haven't mentioned it, that might be more of a problem than if you let them know.

If there was pain then I would be getting is seen to, and while it isn't a problem for the ENG1 in itself, with the trade I am going into it could be seen as a 'progressive problem' which could restrict the duties I would be allowed to undertake. Selfish maybe, but I do think this one is dealable unlike my back problem
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Crunchy, I think, usually indicate tendonitis. Treatable with ice and anti-inflams and rest.

Is it underneath the kneecap? If so, this is a fairly classic runners' injury, caused by the quad tiring over time and then transferring strain to the tendon. Quad exercises should help in the longer term.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • NGale
    Greg66 wrote:
    Crunchy, I think, usually indicate tendonitis. Treatable with ice and anti-inflams and rest.

Is it underneath the kneecap? If so, this is a fairly classic runners' injury, caused by the quad tiring over time and then transferring strain to the tendon. Quad exercises should help in the longer term.

yep under the knee cap, everything around the knee seems good and strong.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Bang on. Google "tendonitis patella" (or even "crunchy knee") and you're off and away.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I had a crunchy knee for years and my Doctor was no help at all so I asked to see someone privately.

His first words after examining me were "there's definitely something wrong with it".

MRI scan within 2 weeks, 4 weeks later I was having keyhole surgery and 3 weeks after that I was back on the bike*

My other knee is going the same way now so I'll be getting that looked at as well.

I agree with the above comment though, hiding potential issues creates more problems that it solves. If your medical is a thorough one they should pick up any problems and if asked you should tell them about it. If you're getting no pain in the knee there may not be any mechanical problems, maybe just a sliver of cartlidge has become detached and is rubbing on the joint as it moves.

*any good surgeon will tell you that the results of any knee surgery are not guaranteed. I was cycling within 3 weeks of surgery but another patient he operated on the same day as he did my knee was still having problems 2 months later.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • NGale
    Cheshley wrote:
    I had a crunchy knee for years and my Doctor was no help at all so I asked to see someone privately.

His first words after examining me were "there's definitely something wrong with it".

MRI scan within 2 weeks, 4 weeks later I was having keyhole surgery and 3 weeks after that I was back on the bike*

My other knee is going the same way now so I'll be getting that looked at as well.

I agree with the above comment though, hiding potential issues creates more problems that it solves. If your medical is a thorough one they should pick up any problems and if asked you should tell them about it. If you're getting no pain in the knee there may not be any mechanical problems, maybe just a sliver of cartlidge has become detached and is rubbing on the joint as it moves.

*any good surgeon will tell you that the results of any knee surgery are not guaranteed. I was cycling within 3 weeks of surgery but another patient he operated on the same day as he did my knee was still having problems 2 months later.

the thing with the ENG1 medical is that it relies on what's on your medical record and a cusory check and eye test. Also in Exeter the only doctors who run the ENG1s is my own doctor and the partner in the practice.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    NGale wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

the thing with the ENG1 medical is that it relies on what's on your medical record and a cusory check and eye test. Also in Exeter the only doctors who run the ENG1s is my own doctor and the partner in the practice.

Let's just hope they don't read this forum then :wink:
  • NGale
    marchant wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

Let's just hope they don't read this forum then :wink:

This is true :lol:

To be honest I don't think this is a doctor thing really, I think a bit of self care will be the key especially with a run of football matches coming up in the next few weeks