Altura Arran Pannier Bags

chrism_scotland
chrism_scotland Posts: 221
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Considering buying the Altura Arran Pannier Bags and just wondering if anyone else has used them and can comment on their quality.

They seem to be relatively cheap and a good size for committing, I did notice that they came as a pair, do I need to use both or can I just use one bag depending on the load?

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I have the Orkney. Great panniers. One can be used at a time, not a problem at all.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Thanks mate thats great.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I use Ortlieb now but had Arran's before that. Can't fault them at the price and I think the rack fixings are better than anything else including Ortlieb....IMO.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I have the Vaude Aqua. They are pricey, but they seem to have such excellent build quality that they'll outlast the bike. Unlike the Ortliebs they have a small outer pocket, which is really useful
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    I have the Altura Dryline (more waterproof than Arran). No problems in 2 years constant year round commuting, love them, good value.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    Sorry, forgot. I use 1 for normal commuting and 2 for days I have to pick up the weekly shop etc. No problems.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Cheers guys, I've ordered a pair of the Arran's I'm sure they will be more than adequate for what I need them for!
  • peuan
    peuan Posts: 8
    I've got some, no problems except not that waterproof. I solve that by lining them with supermarket "bags for life" e.g. the tough plastic bags.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    peuan wrote:
    I've got some, no problems except not that waterproof. I solve that by lining them with supermarket "bags for life" e.g. the tough plastic bags.

Or using the waterproof covers that are stored in the back. Well mine had them, perhaps they weren't Arrans?