Tricross Advice - Getting Faster

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
OK, not needing advice on the Tricross, had plenty of that, love the beast.
Great commuter, great tourer, comfortable, yet decent performance.

What I am wanting to know is although I have 25mm Gator Contri tyres, would I find a full road bike faster? I have done a few Sportives now (Etape Caledonia, Trossach's Ton) and loved them, however was plenty of people going by me (I did go by a few as well!). Now I am not the fittest, but getting better.

However, would a full on road bike be faster, and by how much?

Cheers,

Wall
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My Madone is noticeably quicker than my Tricross. It's more than just the speed though - the handling is utterly different. The feel, the acceleration, position all are very different on the 'road bike'

You're using a heavier bike and this makes for much more fun when you get on the lighter machine - the same effort propels you at higher speeds and you will be picking higher gears.

I actually cruise at pretty much the same pace (16-18mph) but the effort is lessened on the Madone so I go further (and climb better!)

I wish we lived closer, you could try the Madone out and see for yourself, and finally understand why people describe the Tricross' handling as 'neutral'
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Can't comment on the tricross, but can compare the Tifosi to the Maxima...

Tifosi, an Audax bike, prolly a similar geometric set-up to the Tricross, very comfy, nice to ride, has some go when you need it.

The maxima, on the other hand, is like a crazy thing in comparison. When you put the hammer down it's like comparing the acceleration in a scooby impreza to an ariel atom. Sure, the scooby's quick, but the atom blows your face off. I think it's the stiffness of the frame, I can wear SPDs on the tifosi for hours on end, but they hurt me on the maxima.

Go to a shop that has many bikes, find the most expensive one and take it out for a spin. You'll see what I mean! :D
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    My Madone is noticeably quicker than my Tricross. It's more than just the speed though - the handling is utterly different. The feel, the acceleration, position all are very different on the 'road bike'

You're using a heavier bike and this makes for much more fun when you get on the lighter machine - the same effort propels you at higher speeds and you will be picking higher gears.

I actually cruise at pretty much the same pace (16-18mph) but the effort is lessened on the Madone so I go further (and climb better!)

I wish we lived closer, you could try the Madone out and see for yourself, and finally understand why people describe the Tricross' handling as 'neutral'

Heeeeello..... But not too close!! :wink:

Think I need to try out a decent road bike. Will do that after holiday.
    Off up for Mallaig to Durness from tomorrow. 240 miles of Scottish West Coast heaven during the day :D , with 3 nights of midge ridden hell at night. :evil:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003

What KB said. On 25mm Conti 4 seasons, my Tricross is fairly nippy, but compared to the Planet X carbon the difference is more than marginal when accelerating and climbing. The top speed however is comparable, unless it's windy in which case I'm able to maintain it for longer on the lighter bike.

I'd be happy to do sportives on either but would choose the Tricross over the Planet X for commuting. Tough and dependable.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Heeeeello..... But not too close!! :wink:

Think I need to try out a decent road bike. Will do that after holiday.
    Off up for Mallaig to Durness from tomorrow. 240 miles of Scottish West Coast heaven during the day :D , with 3 nights of midge ridden hell at night. :evil:

Marmite sandwiches - little b****** hate the taste 8)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I'm at a very similar point - just started doing some long rides on the Tricross (Comp), it seems to be a good as 'touring' style bike but I'm now close to moving to a proper road bike.

I want to get out on a few of the £1k+ options, such as the CAAD9, but I'd also like to see what I could get second hand or mail order (Planet X, Ribble etc.) although I would prefer to try them first. I'm expecting the bikes to be a good bit lighter and better at climbing. I currently ride a very light single speed bike for commuting and I'd love to get a comparable weight geared bike - not sure this is possible though.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I think it's the stiffness of the frame, I can wear SPDs on the tifosi for hours on end, but they hurt me on the maxima.

Doesn't sound right....why would SPDs hurt more on one bike than the other (and don't you use Speedplays on the Maxima?).
    As the Viner is still (I think) sunning itself in Tuscany, I can't really compare my two roadies yet. But the Squadra goes much the same as my possibly rose-tinted memories of the Viner. Very fast in other words, even with me on it. As an alu/carbon mix, seems a bit stiffer and slightly less comfy, not surprisingly. But certainly not uncomfortable (the stuff it doesn't like, the Viner doesn't either- and I've got the Magnifica's old components on the Squadra, so its a straight comparison- in any case), and I can put up with that. It's just great to be going so fast again......!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    StuAff wrote:
    I think it's the stiffness of the frame, I can wear SPDs on the tifosi for hours on end, but they hurt me on the maxima.

Doesn't sound right....why would SPDs hurt more on one bike than the other (and don't you use Speedplays on the Maxima?).

I do as a rule, but on more than one occasion have failed to have the right shoes and been forced to put SPDs on the Maxima *gasp*.

The increased stiffness of the frame means everything that can move is under more stress, including, it transpires, my feet and knees. On the maxima, I need the extra float and larger platform that the speedplays offer. On the tifosi, I don't.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hello Tricross lovers,

As a Tricross rider, this is an interesting thread. I hadn't considered the transfer of stresses from a stiffer frame to knees and feet, for example. I've also shied away from looking at buying road bikes as my perception is that they are less comfortable to ride. I'm quite old and knackered and so I appreciate not being stretched out on a road bike. Is it true to say that a cyclocross bike is more comfortable to ride? Is there a frame geometry which will give the lightness and performance of a road bike but with the comfort of a 'crosser?

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    The obvious thing to look at if you want geometry like the Tricross is a Specialized Roubaix:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer ... egoryID=42
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I considered the Roubaix when looking at a road for just that reason, but found the Madone just felt 'right'

One example I can think of when comparing the two types:

You know when you climb a hill on the Tricross and you get that nice rolling motion going when you climb out the saddle? It's kind of... easy and soft?

On the Madone, same hill... the bike snaps to the left and right as you climb out the saddle. The first time it's a little disconcerting as you tend to put more effort into each arm movement and overcook the side to side motion. It's very much sharper and more... direct.

Comfort wise on longer trips? Not much in it, you get aches on both but in subtley different places :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:

I do as a rule, but on more than one occasion have failed to have the right shoes and been forced to put SPDs on the Maxima *gasp*.

The increased stiffness of the frame means everything that can move is under more stress, including, it transpires, my feet and knees. On the maxima, I need the extra float and larger platform that the speedplays offer. On the tifosi, I don't.

Aah...not had this problem on any of mine...but then the frames on the Squadra and Magnifica are probably less stiff.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I find I get quite a lot of flex on the steel frame of the Genesis - seems to keep the rolling motion when climbing and soak up the road buzz better than an ali frame