Is a disk rim any stronger...

float
float Posts: 16
edited June 2010 in MTB general
...than a rim brake rim?

ive just recieved my shiny new front wheel from chain reaction and to my horror i ordered the non disk version of the rim :( (hope pro 2 laced to a mavic xm 317) . i know there's going to be people saying get over it, but its dissaponting when something different to what you expect comes, even more so when you made the mistake in the ordering :oops:

anyway, I dont think ill spend another £15 sending it back, so are disk specific rims stronger, or is it simply a difference in aesthetics? cheers :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not stronger,

a disc rim will be lighter than a rim brake version.

a disc rim may also be not quite as strong as it has less forces to deal with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    float wrote:
    ive just recieved my shiny new front wheel from chain reaction and to my horror i ordered the non disk version of the rim
    They nearly got me with that one. Too many choices in that drop-down list box.
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    Whilst I don't have a definitive answer, I would have thought that for a given weight, the disk-specific rim should be stronger - it is after all designed to be a rim only, and not to have to double-up as a braking surface as well; this should mean that less metal will be "wasted" in the disc-specific rim. The flip-side of course is that a similar strength disc-specific rim could be lighter than a rim with a braking surface, but bear in mind that you will need to add back the weight of the disc (albeit with a lower effective rotating mass) if you are looking at the total wheel / braking package weight.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Hubs also need more bulk to deal with the extra forces of disc brakes.
  • float
    float Posts: 16
    ah ok, so the general consensus is that the differences will be neglagble. it still leaves me with a fat silver braking surface around what wouldve been an all black rim. you win some you lose some :roll:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am not sure about CRC but a lot of wheelbuilders wont take a wheel back for a refund as its a custom made item.

You can get a chemical that makes aluminium go black. The only drawbacks are its horrendously poisonous and it goes a very dark purple not quite a genuine black. It would probably stand out a mile.

Me I would bite the bullet and if CRC wont take it back bang it on ebay as a new wheel.

Just remember the best lessons always cost you money :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap