How do Top Contenders hit Top Form for GT?

chriskempton
chriskempton Posts: 1,245
edited June 2010 in Pro race
It's a vain hope I konw, but I'm interested in hearing about the training, not any illicit preparation here!

There's always a lot of talk about how pros get themselves into form at the right times in the season, but I'm never seen an explanation of how they actually profile their training.

e.g. some people might say that riders that have done the Giro will be tired for the TDF, or that another rider has done too little to be ready. In any case, al the riders appear to be on a constant diet of very long rides and big mileages whether in racing or training.

I suppose what I'm asking is what is the perfect profile of training over the year to be ready for TDF in July. Does it involve any tapering? What volume of racing and training gives riders the best chance?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, tapering, doing long rides but also sharpening the effort with motorpacing and time trial training efforts at threshold. Plus losing weight for you can't stay long at your race weight.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Gesink has done 3 weeks at altitude and it seemed to help in the Swiss mountains (shame about the TT!). I was wondering at that time though whether the altitude training may have been a bit early and the effects worn off by time the race starts (or at least the serious racing).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Take a short break in Switzerland about 10-14 days before, somewhere around Zermatt seems to work wonders for many riders, particularly if you can arrange a rendezvous with a camper van half-way up a mountain pass but just don't go sticking your nose in the fridge...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..