Bashguards

ExTrEmE BiKeR
ExTrEmE BiKeR Posts: 149
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I'm really starting to get into some really rocky and technical riding lately and I find that I keep grinding up my chainring on rocks. I know alot of that could be reduced with some better technique but lot of times, smashing a rock is unavoidable. The only bash guards I can find at my LBS are ones designed for bikes with only one chainring and would make switching between the three that I have impossible. Are there any available that protect my largest chainring and still allow me to switch my gears?

Comments

• BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    e Thirteen Supercharger
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    If you are looking to retain all 3 rings, then Race Face do a triple bashring as shown here;

http://www.raceface.com/components/ring ... iple-bash/

The only issue I see with this is that it makes the "circle" bigger meaning more of a chance of hitting.

I have replaced the outer ring with a Race Face Lightweight Bash as shown in the photo below. This is what most riders to leaving us with 2 front rings. I don't miss the outer ring as I rarely used it.

p4pb5210492.jpg
    Craig Rogers
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    this won't be the greatest idea as the "cirlce" will be bigger meaning you will be hitting the guard very often and then after a while it could possible break. i got rid of the big ring and replaced it with a 36t(you could go for 38t bit with a 24t or bigger granny ring) and a e13 bash and i don't miss the triple ring set up at all now. i shortened the chain quite a bit though so that i don't have to get a bottom roller(usually you don't even need one anyway) and it shifts fine and the chain doesn't come off
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    IMO that's the better option, not everyone agrees of course but I've never missed my big ring at all since going to 22/36 with an E13 Turbocharger on one bike and a BBG Superlight on the other (which is **** all use as a bashring but keeps the chain on!)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • x-isle
    There you go, 4 answers all the same....simples.

I'm guessing that the other 2 didn't read my bit after I posted about the triple ring......as they both said almost exactly the same as me. :lol:
    Craig Rogers
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nah, just agreeing with you. I know that's unusual on teh internetz :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Or maybe really sslllloooowwwwwwwwww typers :lol::lol:

I am going with the dual plus bash option as well I am afraid. Bash gaurds don't last for ever you know. I think I may replace mine when I replace the new rings, probably in about a years time.

Think I will be getting one of those Race Face ones in the new shiny colours.

I currently run a 34t amd only ever spin out on road or steep fireroads but you only need to learn to spin a high cadence and you can get a lot further
  • i really like the idea of replacing the outer ring with a bash guard like in the pic. i never use the outer ring anyways. i would of never thought of that on my own! so what do you guys recommend for something decent at a low price (around 30-40$ Cdn)? although i dont mind spending a bit more if it means i dont have to replace them as often
  • peter413
    Race Face would be my vote. Still not entirely sold on polycarbonate ones myself, prefer alloy ones
  • what size would i want? right now my chainring has 44 teeth and i definitely want something smaller. do i just go for the size that is the closest to being the same size as my middle ring while still being a bit larger? i figure that would give me the most clearance.
  • peter413
    Well if you are going to get a 36t ring the you need the 36t bash
  • what about a 34t?
  • peter413
    If you go for a 34t ring then 34t bash.

You can always go above like 36t bash with 32/34t ring but not below
  • oh ok i see what you mean
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a 36t bash over a 32t middle ring which I bought to give me the option of going up to a bigger middlering should I want to. I got an E13 Heim2 but the bashring is not the cheapest. For $40 CDN you might need a pretty simple alloy number.

I don't know what it is about Canada but the internet shopping deal hasnt caught on there yet - I know from looking for ski gear in winter - but your best bet is to see what you can find in your local store.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I know what you mean! i'm always looking for deals on snowboard stuff in the winter and the only deals I can find are on american websites. On top of that, most major companies ie burton, k2, ride etc dont ship to canada. Im going to check out what the local stores have today. Maybe I'll find a deal.
  • x-isle
    Here's a closer image from when I first put the Bash Ring on.

It's had a lot of use :) since it went on back in March and you can hardly notice that it's had a lot of knocks. The paint is holding up pretty well too!

p4pb4780068.jpg
    Craig Rogers
  • Looks nice! thats exactly the type of thing im after
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    What do I do about the gears? do I need to adjust anything after I swap the rings?
  • peter413
    Re size your chain.

The middle ring becomes your biggest ring
  • x-isle
    Three things you can do, but not nessecary.

1) Screw the highstop on the front mech in so that it can't be pushed out any further than the middle ring.

2) The chain length can be reduced by a few links, you'll have to measure this though. This link on the Park Tool website shows you how - http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26

3) If you have a Long Cage rear mech, you can probably reduce this down to a medium, but it's not a requirement.

I would at least recommend doing 1 and 2.
    Craig Rogers
  • so i just got back from a few local stores and the cheapest bashguard i can find is $60. does anybody know where i could get a decent e13 or raceface bashguard or something similar for around $45-50 including the shipping to canada?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    so i just got back from a few local stores and the cheapest bashguard i can find is $60. does anybody know where i could get a decent e13 or raceface bashguard or something similar for around $45-50 including the shipping to canada?
    do you have a pinkbike account? the buysell section is pretty good and there should be alot of used ones for cheap. or chainreactioncycles might hvae something cheaper and also they ship to canada. check jenson usa as well
  • i found a brand new supercharger for $35 and the guy lives a half hour from me so no shipping costs. good deal?
  • peter413
    Thats the best polycarbonate bash IMHO and sells for 30 quid over here so yes, a good deal.

Just check it has the long bolts with it and it will cover your chosen middle ring.
  • I have a 32t middle ring and its a 36t bash so it should work good, right?
  • peter413
    Yep, will work fine and will give you the option to get a 36t ring at a later date