Did Frank Schleck's Win/Ride Change Your Mind About His TDF?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Did Frank's ride and win in the Tour de Suisse change your mind about his chances to win/podium the TDF?

Personally I still think his TT is a little too weak but he seems to have improved and I think if everything goes right, he could actually make the podium.

Comments

• Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    donrhummy wrote:
    Did Frank's ride and win in the Tour de Suisse change your mind about his chances to win/podium the TDF?

Personally I still think his TT is a little too weak but he seems to have improved and I think if everything goes right, he could actually make the podium.

His TT was surprisingly good, but he also got dropped before the summit on the cat 1 climb, so I think Andy will do better, he was clearly holding back.
    We'll see soon.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I bet Andy finishes higher in the rankings than Frank - sure a great win but not a head to head win.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I also think Andy has a better chance, but I felt before that Frank would hold Andy back. Now I think he might be just good enough to be on the podium (if everything goes well) and that means Andy will have a lieutenant who's also putting in good times.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    What's the closest that a pair of brothers have come to the podium, apart from the Schleck's last year of course
  • NicFrance
    NicFrance Posts: 256
    What's the closest that a pair of brothers have come to the podium, apart from the Schleck's last year of course

probably Pierre and Mett Clemens from Luxembourg in 1936, finishing 4th and 7th respectivly.
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    Not convinced about Frank as a TDF contender, in fact I'd put him down as only an outside bet for a podium spot. Furthermore my gut feeling is that even though Andy Schleck was Contador's closest contender in last year's TDF, it doesn't make him a shoe in for the win if Bertie's off form this year. If the holder is below par (and i suspect he'll be in peak form by mid Tour) then the number of potential winners will increase substantially, but I think that Andy's TTing will let him down and am not sure whether he's capable of destroying his closest rivals in the high mountains either. In fact without Contador I don't think there's a single rider who will be able to dominate and destroy in the Alps and Pyrenees, so TTs will be very significant, which plays into the hands of the likes of Armstrong and Evans and goes against the Schlecks.
    Take care,

Steve.