Dunwich Dynamo 2010

Oddjob62
Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
http://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/content/dunwich-dynamo

Who's going?

Been on my list of things to do since getting into cycling 2 years ago.
As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    moi - weather not being shit that is.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Oh it would be on my brother's birthday. They have a real knack for picking dates I can't do.
  • Oddjob62
    Oh it would be on my brother's birthday. They have a real knack for picking dates I can't do.

Last weekend of the TdF as well... how annoying :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Count me in.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'll be doing it, fixed of course
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Oddjob62
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'll be doing it, fixed of course

Of course :)
  • Oddjob62
    spasypaddy wrote:
    why fixed of course?

;)
  • EKE_38BPM
    Because fixie riders seems to have a screw loose.

I hope to get a fixie and have a screw loose too.

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i have a fixie but i dont fancy 120miles on it
  • Oddjob62
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I hope to get a fixie and have a screw loose too.

One Of Us :twisted: One Of Us :twisted: One Of Us :twisted:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    This year I'll be doing my 6th Dun Run.

This should be the fittest I've been since 2006 - so am looking forward to it.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Porgy wrote:
    This year I'll be doing my 6th Dun Run.

This should be the fittest I've been since 2006 - so am looking forward to it.

I am quite tempted to do my first. It looks lovely...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Might not be doing this now, just realised it's the same weekend as the Tour of the Black Mountains which I'm signed up for, and the 661 miniDH race which I desperately want to have a go at.

Oh god time to organsie this chaotic mess I call life!!!!!
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Exmouth Exodus this weekend, if any of you were fancying a trip south west? Perfect weather for a dip in the sea and breakfast on the beach.
    us0.png
  • Porgy
    Hmmm...breakfast on the beach - the absolute highlight of the Dun Run - and this year I WILL jump into the sea.

I always say that though. :oops:
  • Oddjob62
    Rather worried... legs don't have anywhere near the stamina they need to for this :( I've even stopped squatting in the gym to try to keep them fresh so i can get some longer rides in over the next 3 weeks.
  • spasypaddy
    odd, dont worry about it, if you want to get to the end you'll get to the end. remember its also not a race!
  • Porgy
    I've done it two years without any training - a struggle but i did it.

And there's always option of ducking out at the food station and getting lift to the end - that's only about 65/ 70 miles. But don;t worry - you won't need to do that.
  • Oddjob62
    Porgy wrote:
    I've done it two years without any training - a struggle but i did it.

And there's always option of ducking out at the food station and getting lift to the end - that's only about 65/ 70 miles. But don;t worry - you won't need to do that.

TBH i'm not too worried about not being able to finish it, but i'm the kind of person who doesn't like doing something like this half heartedly. I'd like to get a semi-respectable time, as it will be my first "cyling just for cycling" (as opposed to a more social ride) event.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm 50:50 at the the moment, having not come up with a proper plan for getting back that doesn't involve hanging around all day for the coach. Was wondering about riding at least part way back, possibly over to Bury St. Edmunds or Cambridge and then getting the train.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I work for a reputable 'man with a van' type company and I've talked them into laying on a van to take bikes back. I've never done the Dynamo before so I don't know what the set-up is with the coach, but the company was thinking of going to the start, handing out flyers and taking bookings for taking bikes back to London. I tried to get them to sort out a minibus to take the riders, but that seems to have died a death.

How many bikes do you think you could safely get in one of these including bubblewrap/blankets etc?

Riders would have to take the train back though. I'm not sure if they've thought this bit through. How far is the train station and how much is the train back to London? If they do do it though, I'll be getting a free ride back in the cab of the van with the bikes as well as a bit extra. :D

Note: I'm not advertising (which is why I haven't named the company). I think that would be out of order on here as I may make something out of this. If you do want to know about the company, PM me.

• spasypaddy
    you wont mention him but you'll link straight to his site...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

It's Mrs Pun's birthday weekend and I'm taking her to the High Voltage festival on the Sunday... it's really not possible for me to do both.

I was going to do it on the brompton as well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Clever Pun wrote:

Oof, 120(?) miles on that little guy... What's the furthest you've done on it so far?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I'm 50:50 at the the moment, having not come up with a proper plan for getting back that doesn't involve hanging around all day for the coach. Was wondering about riding at least part way back, possibly over to Bury St. Edmunds or Cambridge and then getting the train.

There's loads of stations along the way, just stick near to the ipswich mainline on your route back and jump on a train when you get fed up!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

Oof, 120(?) miles on that little guy... What's the furthest you've done on it so far?

on the brompton or on a 'proper' bike?
    108 miles and on the bromy something like 30 I think if I were going to do it I'd have ridden a few longer rides on it, it's very comfy
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Clever Pun wrote:

Did it last year on my Brompton - there were probably half a dozen Bs on the ride last year.

Tandem is this year's weapon of choice.

Looking forward to it - but going to forgo the food stop and take our own - the queues were horrific last year - fair play to them trying to feed hundreds of people, but it really wasn't worth the waiting. So we'll take a lunchbox of pasta etc.

I will swim this year - but I am not posing for my traditional photo with bike head aloft whilst standing in the sea - tandem's too heavy for that!
  • Porgy
    My routine these days is to book into the nearby youth hostel and stay night on Sunday - pub round the corner, full english brekky laid on in the morning - and the whole day to get home, muscles rested overnight and sleep caught up with.