Bad Boy or Charge Mixer for a commuter

DJS1968
DJS1968 Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I am about to start my riding again after a rest of about 7 years. Gosh, everything has changed..

I am after a fast commuter for work and have narrowed down to 2 bikes the Cannondale Bad Boy Solo 8 and the Charge Mixer.

Although they have similar levels of componentry, they are quite different bikes due to the frame geometry. I find both quite comfortable to ride although the Cannondale seems a stiffer less forgiving ride due I think to the Alloy frame vs the Cro-Mo frame of the Mixer.

Does anyone have any final advice before I order the ???Mixer???

Comments

• mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    Cannondale bad boy, great bike
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The Cannondale Bad Boy seems to be the cycle thief's bike of choice (judging by the dodgy ads I have seen on Ebay and Gumtree) and I think you may be onto something with the steel frame being more comfortable on urban roads.

I'd probably go for the Mixer, but the Cannondale is still a great machine.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    The Mixer is a great commuter bike and fun to ride. Very manoeuvrable, throws itself into corners and I get a very good turn of speed out of it; collecting plenty of scalps. It's not a light frame, so you do need a bit of muscle to carry it up and down stairs (I'm in a basement flat, so this is a daily ritual).

It's not as flash as the Bad Boy, while still being a nice looking bike. But then the bling factor of the Bad Boy does nothing for me.

I've not even tried out the Cannondale, so can't comment on that, but I can really recommend the Mixer.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    badboy for me, the mixer like all charge bikes is made out of left over scaffolding.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Have you considered the Scott Sub 10? Saw one running along the Embankment last night, and was quite impressed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    spasypaddy wrote:
    badboy for me, the mixer like all charge bikes is made out of left over scaffolding.

Retro design is the word. Retro scaffolding, if you like :P But then your own choice of bikes indicates you aren't much of a steel frame fan.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    itsbruce wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Retro design is the word. Retro scaffolding, if you like :P But then your own choice of bikes indicates you aren't much of a steel frame fan.
    that also shows why i ride my two bikes. my fixie is a steel custom build. so dont go making wild accusations that are wrong
    :p
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I wouldn't get either

The Charge bikes have a bad rep for cheap ropey frames.

The bad boy 8 is good but it is let down by one small detail. The eccentric BB has a bad rep for being difficult to adjust. Personally I don't like the one legged fork but YMMV

I have a Cotic Roadrat with Alfine. I like it, not everyone does
  • silverpigeon
    silverpigeon Posts: 327
    My Marin ALP/Hybrid is a great commuter. Even did a Triathlon using it once and recorded a PB. Very comfortable, but quick and manoeuvrable. Worth a look I'd suggest
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc