Cleaning Helmet Straps

2»

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Isn't dishwasher water a lot hotter than washing machine water? You might end up with a bit of a disaster.

And I wouldn't put facial moisturiser on leather straps - it won't do much. Better to go to the local shoe heelers and get some of that shoe polish cream. No, not the coloured stuff that will look as if someone has tried to garrott you, but there is a white leather cream that is colourless. You can also get it for leather sofas :-)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • So you're advising I put shoe polish on my skin (indirectly)? A golf pro once told me to rub skin moisturiser into leather golf gloves before putting them away to help prevent them from drying out (leather was once skin, right!) so I figured it'd be a good idea.

Our dishwasher has three settings, 65 normal, 50 eco and 45 deg.C quick. I was going to put it on 45 deg.C.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No way, I'd look a right knob wearing a helmet in the shower!

And my nice road helmet has removable leather straps. Going to clean those with a clean, extra hot watered chamois leather then rub facial moisturiser into them.

Are you sure they are leather? My Kask Mojito supposedly has leather straps. They aren't. Not much point rubbing moisturiser into those!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    So you're advising I put shoe polish on my skin (indirectly)? A golf pro once told me to rub skin moisturiser into leather golf gloves before putting them away to help prevent them from drying out (leather was once skin, right!) so I figured it'd be a good idea.

Our dishwasher has three settings, 65 normal, 50 eco and 45 deg.C quick. I was going to put it on 45 deg.C.

Well I use it to clean leather sandals that I wear with bare feet and my feet haven't fallen off yet. If you must use moisturiser use Astral - it's greasy. I'd just prefer something that was made for the job, and we're exposed to a lot more chemicals than a bit of shoe cream every day, let's face it :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    So you're advising I put shoe polish on my skin (indirectly)? A golf pro once told me to rub skin moisturiser into leather golf gloves before putting them away to help prevent them from drying out (leather was once skin, right!) so I figured it'd be a good idea.

dont dishwashers use salt tablets though, that doesnt seem like a good combination for leather. msmcanuia is right the white leather cream is probably best

I would recommend though if the straps are detachable, to take note of how it fits together when you disassemble, so you dont feel like a complete numpty when trying to remember how to do it in the re-assemble phase (been there done that)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I used to use leather cream on my football boots and that helped me get two or three seasons out of a pair. Sounds like a great idea for leather helmet straps.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/