36t or 38t?

bones3027
bones3027 Posts: 152
edited July 2010 in MTB general
so Ive decided to drop the big ring on my raceface ride xc chainset in order to run a bash guard and chain guide. so my question is what size middle ring should I run which maintains the most gearing?
And if you fine people woudln't mind recommend me a decent set up(guide and guard) :lol:
I found three rings on my reign to be a little over the top. Not used the big ring and got close to mashing it on the way down whites last weekend. Come to think of it I have never used it on my HT either.......

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    a 38t
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have just put (literally packed tools away 20 mins ago) a Heim2 guide from E13 which is a dual ring guide - I currently have a 22 and 32 on there and want to see how that works out but am considering upping the middle to a 36 which I think the front mech will still cope with and is the bashguard max for the set up I bought.

E13 do a 40t version of the Heim2 if wanted.

£72 at CRC currently. I havent ridden it yet so no review of its effectiveness at this stage.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what granny ring size are you planning on using?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bones3027
    either sticking with the 22 granny or might up that aswell to a 24...
    any advice will be gratefully recieved
  • bones3027
    cheers paul just looked on crc let me know how it rides with your setup please pal :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    36 works very well, I'm dimly considering going to 38 but it's not as though 36's been noticably too low, not offroad on interesting trails anyway.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i have 22/36 combo and have to say the 36 is pretty much spot on, considering upping the granny a couple fo teeth to 24 maybe 26, but the 36t i find ideal!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I use a 34 tooth ring and only spin out on roads or steep fireroads.

It is just about spot on for trail riding. Only reason I went for a 34 instead of a 36 though was that the max my bash could take was a 34 and I didn't want to have to get a new one
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    I have the SLX 22/36 jobby on my new bike and I've not used the granny yet at all and don't find top gear to be too low. 38t might be a bit high for me as I do use the bottom 2 gears at the rear quite a lot.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Thought about a 34 or 36 rear then?

That should allow for a bigger front maintaining the ratio...
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    36t for me, can do my local ride using only this at the front so ideal.
  • Mancunianfightingcat
    Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
    edited June 2010
    I had to go for a 34, Orange 5's don't like anything above 32, but I risked a 34. Seems spot on for the kind of riding I do! Also means the jump from the 22 granny isn't too big.
    If your fitting a 38, you probably want a bigger granny!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    22/36 works perfectly, no need for a bigger granny though some people might prefer it. With a 34T cassette 22/34 is pretty damn low after all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bones3027
    yeah I'm running 11/34 cassette so my reckoning is I'm gonna go for a 36t maybe a 38t and might keep the granny on 22t any thoughts?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    So quick review of my Heim2 following an hour and a half blast at Swinley.

Works really well, no chain jump and skip at all over bits that normally get it moving on both front and rear cogs, even a high side bail with the bike tumbling at least twice end over end left the chain in place and ready to roll though I took a few mins to regroup!

No noticable drag when pedalling, bit of extra noise especially in middle cog as the roller is running with the chain but not too bad.

32t middle ring seemed OK on those trails but I have a feeling on real world bridleways it may be a bit under geared plus my legs were hanging from the weekend so maybe if I had been feeling stronger it would have proved more noticeable.

So overall, fitting was easy, works well, doesnt interfere with shifting , no drag. Only downside then is a dull muted rumble as chain runs over the roller. I didn't clip anything to test the bash guard, still used to just manualling/jumping the obstacles!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i've just put on an SLX double and bash with a 22/36 ratio and it's great. haven't spun out on it yet :D
  • LTheisinger
    LTheisinger Posts: 190
    Running 26-36 and 11-34 cassette and love it!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    i was out on the STP today and that runs a 36t ring with a 12-26 cassette, and spinn out between 25 and 30mph, I think that's about as fast as feel okay on that little bike but the compromise is good close middle gears for plenty o stand on power.
    It all depends on how fast you spin out with a double and wide cassette I would go for a bigger outer ring at least 38t anything smaller is pretty pointless unless you really need short cranks and can spin past 130rpm.

I am thinking 11-32 cass with a 26t/40t double and chain device for my general bike.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    1x9 or 1x10. Front mechs are dead.
  • bones3027
    well i have gone 24/36 and it runs spot on got a few niggles with the chainline which i have no doubt i will square that away tomorrow . Now my only concern is the chain, yes this is a very noobish question which i probably answer my self. Although i have a long cage rear mech do i still size my new pc971 big ring to big or is the same length as the triple right? Im guessing the former is the corret way to go I just think that the mech will be pulled to far forward........
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    nickfrog wrote:
    1x9 or 1x10. Front mechs are dead.

agreed :wink:
    what advice would you all give with regards to front ring size if running just 1 x 9 as i am ?
    32 , 34 , 36 ?
    currently using a 32t at front and can spin out on tarmac / downhil.
    i think you'd have to be super human to ride off road with a 36/38 and no granny ring and i wouldn't want to try.
    34t does sound like a good option.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    For me 1X9 and soon 1X10 only works because I never venture on the road nor like fast smooth trails where a big ring would work. In other words, I did not need to replace my big ring and could go with a single ring exactly in between my old granny and my old middle ring while at the same time dropping the 12-32 for a 11-34 and therefore getting almost an identical gearing than pre-operation. Do the maths by putting in excel what gears you currently use and work out what single ring size could work without too much compromise.
    Use this place= http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/cycal/cycal.30f.html