Bicycle geometry

TheKrikkitWars
TheKrikkitWars Posts: 178
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I'm looking for information on the effects of geometry on bikes, whilst I understand that some elements (such as head angle) have a subjective element, and others (such as BB height) have some very obvious effects (clearance + the less obvious efficiency and balance effects); that isn't quite what I'm looking for [though I'd still appreciate your input in that respect].

What I'm looking for mainly is the effects that geometry has on the stresses on the frame and on the pedaling efficiency; are there any good websites, or well known journal articles which give detailed consideration to either of those aspects?

To add a little background, inspired by the bamboo bicycle thread, I want to make a wooden bike (laminated in a manner vaguely simmilar to carbon ones, not a bike hewn from a massive block of wood) but because the strength of timber is directional, I need to give significant consideration to where and how most stress is going to be applied and how I plan lay those bits up.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It has been discussed a few times on here, but you amy have to search through a few posts.

I also wrote an article for WMB [issue 108 I think] on bike fitting which discusses the effect on pedalling effiecinecy and weight distributions.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH the rest of the bits have very little to with the Geo but the material and use.

and as you want to use laminated wood then you will need to work out the infos.

what you need to be looking at is the forces your "rider" puts on the bike..

some strain gauges on an alloy frame and some means to record....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown