Considering Swap From Suspension To Rigid Forks

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
After taking part in Bristols Biggest Bike Ride yesterday, and having spent the whole day with the Pace forks locked out, I started wondering about selling the RC36s & popping on some rigid carbon forks.

Have I gone mad, I do some cross country work, but it's pretty limited.
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    If you're still using the bike off-road I'd keep the RC36's on.

I'm thinking about doing similar, just bought a new bike for off-road and am converting my old hardtail in to a commuter, I currently have some Marzocchi Bombers on it and I'm considering putting the original (GT) forks on.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Interesting question... It's tricky looking for forks - When I was looking for a new set I finally narrowed it down from 15 to 1.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Interesting question... It's tricky looking for forks - When I was looking for a new set I finally narrowed it down from 15 to 1.

that gives me an idea for a quiz show
    <a>road</a>
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you don't think you need suspension, and for a lot of riding you really dont, then try some rigids.

I'd buy some exotic carbon ones, because they're cheap (£80) then see how you get on, if you really miss the sus then you've got your answer, if you dont, flog the paces and buy some ritchey triton forks. In my experience curved leg forks that look like road forks are much better off-road than the straight legged ones.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I convrted my MTB hardtail to Onza smart guy ally forks (ebay, still available direct from Onza) which I then moved to my dedicated commuter when I built that.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mark Elvin
    Well, I've done it, order placed, PAce forks coming off, rigids going on.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Remember cyclo cross bikes have rigid forks, suspension forks are uneeded for most riding but people are conned by manufacterers into to thinking they need them.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Mark Elvin
    This is purely for weight (and the fact I'm a carbon whore)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin
    OK, after a few rides on the new carbon forks I can say I'm smitten.

Yes your arm/hamds get a bit more of a pounding, but I'll just choose my lines more carefully, years of suspension have made me lazy. But the directness of the steering is amazing, the bike is now perfect, totally transformed.

IMG_6208.jpg
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    What forks are they?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Mark Elvin
    Sold by a company called Carbon Cycles under the brand name eXotic. After some googling I found some good reviews. By all accounts they are identical to the White Bros rigid forks.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Hmm, I may look at doing that on the XTC... :wink:
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    OK, after a few rides on the new carbon forks I can say I'm smitten.

Yes your arm/hamds get a bit more of a pounding, but I'll just choose my lines more carefully, years of suspension have made me lazy. But the directness of the steering is amazing, the bike is now perfect, totally transformed.

IMG_6208.jpg

I'm intrigued and considering this for my 09 Cindercone ... if Kona states the Fork Length is 476mm (or 18.7") - what size fork should I be looking at?

Thanks

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Mark Elvin
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

I'm intrigued and considering this for my 09 Cindercone ... if Kona states the Fork Length is 476mm (or 18.7") - what size fork should I be looking at?

Thanks

Jon

My forks were 450(ish) extended (PAce RC36 Stealth running the 80mm spring arrangement), so I went for 425mm as this was the suspension fork length when I was seated on the bike.

I'd say you'd need 445mm long, that would equat to about 30mm compression on your current forks.

You could always check you fork sag by popping a cable tie around the fork stantion loosely, then sitting on the bike, when you get off the bike the distance between the top of the lower fork leg & the cable tie is the sag.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

Thanks

Jon

My forks were 450(ish) extended (PAce RC36 Stealth running the 80mm spring arrangement), so I went for 425mm as this was the suspension fork length when I was seated on the bike.

I'd say you'd need 445mm long, that would equat to about 30mm compression on your current forks.

You could always check you fork sag by popping a cable tie around the fork stantion loosely, then sitting on the bike, when you get off the bike the distance between the top of the lower fork leg & the cable tie is the sag.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl and see if I can talk the wife into the purchase of some carbon forks :)

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url