Cotic Roadrat - opinions?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm after a winter commuter (but it's midsummer's day I hear you cry) and intially I was thinking of swapping my Deore spec. drivetrain / wheels to a new lighter rigid frame & forks.

I'm quite tempted at some future time to go either hub geared or fixed so the roadrat ticks all the boxes, including vees / disk brake, 26" / 700c.

Now all this versatility is great, but does it have any drawbacks?

What sort of weight is the frame?

ta.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hmmm You've got me thinking about that now too... Certainly one to consider. It'll take big squidgy tyres and guards too. One to consider against the Genesis Croix de Fer (which is oh so very pretty).

Either a CdF, Roastie's bike, or a Roadrat built up with spare parts. Looks like all three have got easily replaceable headset cups too.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I was so close to ordering a drop bar/alfine hub version of the Road Rat, but between the advice of members here, reviews I read elsewhere and suddenly deciding to buy a house, I decided against it.

Criticism seems to come down to the weight, the fork and the fact that it is overpriced compared to other frames out there. That said, there are plenty of people who love it also.

The Croix de Fer looks like a pig's ear of a bike, but an incredibly cool one and I suspect would be a great option if it wasn't for the price tag attached to it.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    The new Pompetamine from On-one is a disk-braked, hub gear & single speed compatible 700c steel frame, produced I suspect to directly compete with the Road Rat
    <a>road</a>
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Very chuffed with my Roadrat after about 4 weeks on it. I'm currently riding it fixed with drops and V'brakes.

The plan is to get a surley fixed disc hub and go fully fixed disc but the wheels will cost me at least £250! so i'll wait for the current ones to wear out first.

The front is quite high but generally it rides well and looks great.
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    The missus has had a small/long for the last 5? years now. Loves it. Hers is SS, v-braked, sensible but not exotic build and comes in at 20lb, so not exactly hefty.

I've ridden it a few times (it fits me a like an MTB and is an absolute hoot to ride - really quick handling). It's a little softer than my Condor Pista, so is more comfortable, but not as instant feeling, stomping away from the lights.

Downsides? Well getting the back wheel out if you're running conventional gears is a bit of a PITA, especially if you have full guards on as well. I think that's about it...

If my Condor got nicked, I'd have 'rat without even thinking about it. Simple as that. (I must admit to being a serial Cotic nut though - I have a Soda and a BFe)
  • I've just (a month ago) completed Land's End to John O'Groats on a Roadrat (with gears - I'm not a complete Masochist) and it took to that task with ease. It allowed a mountain biker with no more than 200-300 miles of road training (only 60 of which were on the Radrat as it was a last minute build) to do 100+ miles a day no problem. Frame is a Large Long and I am 6ft, with drop bars it's a bit of a stretch. Rebuilding the rear of the bike with it's chain tug mech hanger in the back of a moving van was a bit tricky but once all in place it works well. The Tektro Lyra disc brakes look pretty but don't give the most bite compared to the Avid Road BB7/BB5 disc systems.

Since finishing th etrip it's my main commuter for a 28mile roundtrip, and is only 5% slower than my Spesh Allez.

All in all I'm very glad I got the Roadrat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45458521@N ... 966036783/
  • davman
    davman Posts: 31
    And this is my Roadrat;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51369160@N07/4725263956/

I got this (well most of it) under the C2W scheme last November. It's a medium long and the spec is as follows;

Alfine on Mavic Open Pro rims with Conti 4 season 25c tyres
    Avid BB7 discs
    Alfine chainset

Other stuff i had lying around

I have to say it's my favourite bike. I also have a Rocky Mountain Blizzard and an Airborne Zeppelin, but the Roadrat is much more comfortable and able to do so many more things.

I've fitted the rear rack (a Topeak DX disc specific rack) and have an Avenir pannier to go on it. I commute about 11 miles each way to work and wearing a rucksack was starting to do my head in. However, even with the additional weight of the rack and pannier, my average time has stayed the same. Much more comfortable than wearing a rucksack

I'm now seriously thinking about getting a dynamo hub for the winter. Also, an 11 speed Alfine is on the list to buy. Internal gear hubs great

If you get a chance to try a Roadrat, then go for it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Now if Cotic were going to do a Titanium Roadrat :D:wink:

davman
  • I have ridden a small short with drops and versa vrs8 brifters with an alfine with BB7's for over a year now and its great. I have fairly top end stuff on there and its still no featherweight although I'm only 60Kg. I ride a 20 mile round trip commute each day on it. My commuting has now sadly come to an end for a while and I am going to build myself a belt drive machine so if anyone wants a small short frame in espresso colour (its nice and discreet - I even have rust stickers on it). The bike has custom script logos on it also as the branding made the bike stand out too much so I had custom graphics done for the frame AND forks using 3M reflective backing, however these can be simply removed if not required. I will be putting it on Ebay in due course but thought I would give a heads up. Send a PM if anyone wants photos or any more info.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    roadratneil, you have PM
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.