Cyclescheme - Hopefully not the normal question!

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    aldric
    I think it's just a quirk of the NHS. I think. The calculator on the cyclescheme website is actually wrong, something to do with pensions, but it won't cost me quite as much as I first said. There's not a huge difference though.

Now that advice about the cyclocross is the kind of thing I'm after.

Do other people routinely do a commute like this on a bike like the Ribble? Is it impractical for any reasons? Or is there nothing wrong with using a bike like this for commuting?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    bails87 wrote:
    aldricNow that advice about the cyclocross is the kind of thing I'm after.

Do other people routinely do a commute like this on a bike like the Ribble? Is it impractical for any reasons? Or is there nothing wrong with using a bike like this for commuting?

I just re-read the thread and I thought you mentioned commuting but you don't actually talk about, I must have mixed my threads up and just assumed that you were going to be as you are doing the CTW scheme.

What are your plans with the new bike, what are you going to use it for?
  • bails87
    Aldric:
    bails87 wrote:
    So for a 15ish mile commute, probably through the winter as well, the Ribble Sportive is sensible?

Or would you guys say to go for one of the alu/winter bikes?

It will be used for commuting. I'll probably want to get out on it as a replacement for the MTB when the trails turn to swamps in the winter too, just to keep a bit of fitness.

I wouldn't be commuting every day, maybe 2 days a week to start, that link in the quote shows the main part of the journey. It's not a stop-start city type of commute, which is why I was thinking a 'proper' road bike would be better.
    MTB/CX

• aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    I knew I had read about the commute somewhere, just couldn't see it the 2nd time, lol.

I asked for advice a few weeks ago, I will be doing an 11 mile commute and there isn't any stop/start at all other than 1 roundabout.

I am a complete noob at bikes, but from reading up for the last month and from the advice I was given the Cyclocross seemed like the best option for me (for a 365 day commute)

1. Proper mudguards for winter.
    2. Ability for racks.
    3. Able to go on trails not just roads.
    4. Ability to fit wider tyres for winter or racier ones for the summer.
    5. Comfort. I am not used to drop bars and apparently most cyclocross bikes have a bit more of an upright feel about them. With the slightly wider tyres the bumps/pot holes! they should be smoothed out a bit.

If you are thinking of a pure road bike, and using it all year round then I would think its important to think about mudguards, racks and tyres. WIll the racier models you are looking at be able to do a good job?

As I said I haven't even ordered my bike yet, this is just from the info I have been given / read up on.
  • bails87
    aldric wrote:
    I am a complete noob at bikes, but from reading up for the last month and from the advice I was given the Cyclocross seemed like the best option for me (for a 365 day commute)

1. Proper mudguards for winter.
    2. Ability for racks.
    3. Able to go on trails not just roads.
    4. Ability to fit wider tyres for winter or racier ones for the summer.
    5. Comfort. I am not used to drop bars and apparently most cyclocross bikes have a bit more of an upright feel about them. With the slightly wider tyres the bumps/pot holes! they should be smoothed out a bit.

If you are thinking of a pure road bike, and using it all year round then I would think its important to think about mudguards, racks and tyres. WIll the racier models you are looking at be able to do a good job?
    I've got a 'racy' XC MTB so I'm used to being fairly stretched out, and I like that riding position. But I think sportives are slightly more upright than a 'race' bike, maybe not as much as a CX bike, but I don't know. The differences between road bikes are so much more subtle than with MTBs, so I was kind of hoping someone with a little more knowledge would contribute.

As for your points:
    1. I think the Crud race blades would fit ok. Again, not sure of this though.
    2. I don't think I'd be using racks. But I don't know if you can attach them without the mounting holes. All I'd be carrying is a set of work clothes for the day, so nothing particularly weighty as I'm not a 19th century deep sea diver!
    3. I could potentially go along the towpath for some of my journey. But parts of that are unrideable in the spring on an MTB. I doubt it would be doable on a CX bike in the winter, so not an issue for me.
    4. I don't know how wide a tyre can be fitted, and I don't know how much this is a problem.
    5. Possibly an issue, whether the carbon frame would make things more comfortable, I don't know (again).
    MTB/CX

• As for your points:
    1. I think the Crud race blades would fit ok. Again, not sure of this though.
    Yes, they will. They are pretty good. Personally, I glue all of the screws, as they have been known to drop off. You want Roadracers, not raceblades. Mine work a treat, but I am getting some "proper" mudguards for my Orbea as it have pretty good clearances.
    2. I don't think I'd be using racks. But I don't know if you can attach them without the mounting holes. All I'd be carrying is a set of work clothes for the day, so nothing particularly weighty as I'm not a 19th century deep sea diver!
    I use a rucksack too, works fine for me. It's a Deuter Race, seems very good.
    3. I could potentially go along the towpath for some of my journey. But parts of that are unrideable in the spring on an MTB. I doubt it would be doable on a CX bike in the winter, so not an issue for me.
    Stick to the roads, get a road bike.
    4. I don't know how wide a tyre can be fitted, and I don't know how much this is a problem.
    I ran all through last winter on 23mm tyres, even in 4" of snow. I think you have to be a little mental to ride in the snow, whatever your tyres. I did ride unclipped when going over sheet-ice, though, so I could get my foot down quick.
    5. Possibly an issue, whether the carbon frame would make things more comfortable, I don't know (again).
    Upright isn't always more comfortable. My old MTB is very upright, and my back knacks after being on it for even one mile. Upright does give you better ability to balance when the going gets very bumpy, though. It doesn't on the roads, not even in East Lothian. Upright also means you have to battle harder against the wind.

I do like the idea of a CX bike, but I think for 360 days of the year, it would be less efficient than my road bikes. For the 5 or so days I would be commuting in heavy snow though, it'd be ace. Sort of. Even then, it wasn't too bad on the roadie....
  • bails87
    UndercoverElephant

Yeah, I meant whatever the magical new(ish) Crud road guards are :lol: Race blades may well be the MTB ones.

Thanks for the info though :)
    MTB/CX

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I ran all through last winter on 23mm tyres, even in 4" of snow. I think you have to be a little mental to ride in the snow, whatever your tyres. I did ride unclipped when going over sheet-ice, though, so I could get my foot down quick.

:shock: Ummm.... how? I did try riding in snow, albeit with fatter tyres and in deeper snow, and basically couldn't.

As for ice, every time I go anywhere near it the front wheel disappears from under me and I end up base over apex.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cyclowen
    cyclowen Posts: 21
    I would say if you're just using the bike for commuting then a cyclocross would most likely be a better buy than a road bike - although prices for cyclocross bikes are a bit inflated due to the number they're produced in. Something like the Genesis Croix de Fer or Trek XO1 would be a good start (your LBS would probably stock the Trek one if they have the Trek road bikes).

I use a road bike for commuting in the summer (Alu frame, have to try and avoid a lot of pot holes), have a carbon frame for racing (very smooth but qould be terrified of it being stolen if I rode it to work) and use a mountain bike for winter (takes me twice as long but get to enjoy the view!).

Ribble and Planet X are very much value for money, but if something goes wrong you'll get very good support from a LBS if you purchased from there. I also get priority servicing and lots of other benefits from buying from my LBS.

Anyway, let us know what you do! I love buying bikes!!!!
  • bails87
    cyclowen wrote:
    I would say if you're just using the bike for commuting then a cyclocross would most likely be a better buy than a road bike - although prices for cyclocross bikes are a bit inflated due to the number they're produced in. Something like the Genesis Croix de Fer or Trek XO1 would be a good start (your LBS would probably stock the Trek one if they have the Trek road bikes).

I use a road bike for commuting in the summer (Alu frame, have to try and avoid a lot of pot holes), have a carbon frame for racing (very smooth but qould be terrified of it being stolen if I rode it to work) and use a mountain bike for winter (takes me twice as long but get to enjoy the view!).

Ribble and Planet X are very much value for money, but if something goes wrong you'll get very good support from a LBS if you purchased from there. I also get priority servicing and lots of other benefits from buying from my LBS.

Anyway, let us know what you do! I love buying bikes!!!!

I'll keep you updated :wink:

So the only real reason not to consider a Ribble/Planet X carbon for commuting is the risk of it being nicked?

As I'm riding on the road, surely it makes sense to use a road bike?

As I've said, as long as my proper rights are stuck too, I'm not too fussed about back up and servicing from an LBS, I'm capable of doing nearly everything bar facing BBs myself.
    MTB/CX

• Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon Ultegra SL
    CBPXSLPSL_P1.jpg

Ribble Sportive Racing (though I doubt you'll get the spec in this picture for a grand...)
    seintro_SERC.jpg

Trek 2.1
    21_black.jpg

Boardman Comp
    CYP201.bs_bike1.owboar-399-75.jpg

Specialized Secteur Elite
    mf9229_secteurelite.jpg

Specialized Allez Elite
    mf9179_allezelite.jpg

Which is prettier? There's your answer! ;)

In all seriousness though, yes, if you're going to commute on the road, a road bike is the way to go - the choice is on the spectrum from racier, aggressive geometry to more relaxed position, possibly with specific mount points for racks and mud guards.

Ribble and Planet-X do make a convincing argument with the carbon frame and choice of spec. The carbon-framed bikes are likely a bit more desirable to bike thieves, and if you have a bad crash on a carbon frame there is the possibility of 'invisible' damage that will be a problem later. Also riding pricier components in the winter weather will be more expensive when they need replacing, but given your experience with MTBs I'm sure you're used to that.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,787
    Bails87, I was sort of in the same situtaion as you last november, everything apart from the cyclescheme. Been a mountain biker for a while but what with my brother stealing the car after he started driving I wanted something to make getting around faster and easier, and allow me to try and have fun on the road. Anyway spent ages faffing around looking at all different types of road bikes, cx bikes and hybrids. Conclusion, road bike ftw, carbon ftw.

Sounds like you don't mind buying from ribble, my dad bought a bike from them a few months back, they were very helpful with fitting etc, a couple of weeks later he gets the bike and the fit is brilliant. The prices are based on a sora groupset, i think thats about the equivalent of alivio, then tiagra-deore, 105-slx, ultegra- xt, dura ace-xtr.

Is the budget limited to £1000 or can you stray over slightly, for £990 you could get a tiagra specced ribble sportive, or for £1070 you could get the sportive racing special editon with a 105 group, for that money i'd just get that

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... type=RIBMO
  • bails87
    Thanks guys, two really useful posts there.
    :D
    I've sent an email to Ribble asking about topping up by paying a bigger "admin fee" in order to get the 105.

They didn't reply to my email yesterday, so we'll see if they get back to me this time...
    MTB/CX

• angry_bird
    Their customer service can be a bit on the slower side, but i suppose it depends on how busy they are, maybe try phoning them if you're getting impatient. I shouldn't see why they wouldn't do that for you though.

Anyways glad to be of some help, tbh i never really look on the commuting forum but was quite intrigued by your post on the good morning thread this morning :lol:
  • bails87
    edited July 2010
    ouchthathurts
    Teehee, it worked :wink:

I've had a few emails back and forward with Ribble this afternoon. They've sent me a scan of a written quote showing the 105 Sportive as being £1000, so I can use that to get the voucher and then pay an 'inflated' admin fee to make up the difference :D

It still sounds like a lot of money to spend on a flimsy bike with no suspension :lol: but I think I'll be going for it.
    MTB/CX

• angry_bird
    bails87

Great news, you'll find that you'll start to enjoy it, it's quite worrying at first, but its good for the whole fitness thing, and owing to the severe lack of bridleways near me, when i cba to ride over to cannock i just go out for a spin on the roadie :wink: