Not funny any more...

pedro118118
pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
edited June 2010 in Pro race
I've noticed over the last few weeks the press coverage of the latest "potential threat" to cycling - of motors being hidden in bike frames - has spun out into the mainstream sporting media.

What I find amazing is that Fabian Cancellara has become the 'face' of mechanical doping - with his photo being featured with pretty-much every article I've seen.

At best unfair.
At worst, libelous.

I can't beleive that he, his team, his sponsors, his lawyers etc have allowed this to continue for as long as it has???

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I can't beleive that he, his team, his sponsors, his lawyers etc have allowed this to continue for as long as it has???

Must be some truth in it then...

:lol:
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    That's what I find so puzzling?!

On the one hand, perhaps they are treating the groundless accusation with such contempt, that it isn't worth responding/taking action?

On the other hand, the press coverage/accusations must be damaging to Cancellara, Saxo Bank, Riis, Specialized and as such, I would've expected them to take action by now.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Perhaps it's a pretty good distraction tactic, particularly to deviate attention from akward questions about Frank Schleck's sudden-found timetriallling abilities?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good publicity for Saxo and Specialized I'd have thought.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    There might be grounds for legal action, but it would certainly keep the suspicions in the spotlight for longer.

That aside, most libel actions don't tend to target small publications (like the ones that originally ran the story), but go after the big publishers so they can get more money and make more of a statement. And the big publishers can escape libel accusations by prefacing what they write with phrases like "reports claim" or "allegedly".
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    If it cannot be true the there is an element of kudos to be attached to riding as if you have a motor?

Me, I'd love it :lol:

However if such things are possible and realistic then, it must be at least an iritation to have you name synonimous with bike doping. I guess the hope is, that it will blow over when the next scandal supercedes it.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Guess any publicity is good publicity.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its shocking. :D

IGMC.