London to Paris Charity Ride

Niffleman
Niffleman Posts: 87
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

I am hoping someone can provide some advice to help with a charity project. I work at a school and we have formed a partnership with a school in Malawi. In order to help raise some funds to assist them in building further classrooms five pupils and three adults from my school, including me, are planning a sponsored cycle ride from London to Paris, probably in late October 2010.

We plan to cover the distance over four days, aiming for about 60 to 70 miles per day. During my summer holiday I would like to spend a few days surveying the route by car, identifying potential problem areas and suitable overnight stopping points.

Does anyone have details of a route they, or someone known to them, has used? I could plan using the internet, but I would be more comfortable if I knew the route was tried and tested.

I would be grateful for any assistance anyone can provide.

Comments

• pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    Hi Niffleman,

I've just made it back from London to Paris with a group, and it was fantastic. We completed the route over 3 days and you can see it at http://www.cjwoods.com/london2paris/index.php

The route from London to Dover was probably about as good as you can expect for English roads in the southeast.

I would strongly recommend the 2nd day - Calais to Amiens - as a real opportunity to have one of the most enjoyable rides of your life. It has everything you could hope for in scenery.

The third day was good for the first 60 miles and then we hit a dual carriageway for about 15 miles, so a different more countryside route may be advisable.

Good luck.
  • Niffleman
    Niffleman Posts: 87
    Pompeypoppy,

Many thanks for your advice, and the link to your website. The route looks great, although we would need to divide it into four days rather than three. Anyone else know of a route? Or any other useful advice on preparation, spares to take etc?

Best regards,

Niffleman
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Lots and lots of charity runs for you to copy ( see British Heart foundation bike rides etcetc..Some like to go to Paris from Dieppe or Caen to follow the Seine,visit Rouen etc(see Bike events.com) but leave the Uk at Newhaven or Portsmouth
    jc
  • jteighty
    jteighty Posts: 120
    Hi,

I'm doing it next week for charity too. I'm doing it with a friend so I plotted the route myself. If you want to do 60-70 miles a day you can do it in 3 days from London (around 70 miles to Newhaven, then 55m to Gisors and then 55m to Paris)..

My route is here:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php ... de593dbf4a

I decided to do a slight detour in Brighton as Ive ridden there before and I think there's a cycle paths from Brighton to newhaven along the coast so it should be nice.

If you go via newhaven/dieppe there apparently is a very nice unused railway that is open for cyclists (it's been covered over) which goes from dieppe to Forges les Aux (doubt I spelt that right). It covers around 40km. It's called the avenue verte.

If you want any more info PM me next Thursday once I'm back and I can tell you more about it.

Good luck :)