disc brake question

funksoulbrotha
funksoulbrotha Posts: 7
edited June 2010 in The workshop
i am thinking of fitting a rear cable disc brake on my new felt qxr 65. I'd rather not fit hydraulic ones as I've read various reviews about bleeding ngihtmares and would prefer to just fit something and then not have to worry to much about them.

I was just wondering if I would need to buy a new brake lever or whether the standard shimano levers that came with the bike would okay?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The current levers will be fine as long as you match the disc calliper to them, road levers have a different cable pull ratio to MTB ones.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks simon. that's really helped. been trying to find an answer to this question everywhere.
  • flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    hey, i dont know if you have done it yet but i fitted a set of hydraulic brakes, shimano Deore to my Dawes Acoma years ago, first time i have ever done it and they worked perfectly first time, no bleeding issues or set up problem, all i have needed to do is one set of new pads!

Hassle and maintanence free!!
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)