Cycling Tracksuit trousers- is there still such a thing?

BRIDKID
BRIDKID Posts: 51
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
Thats the question in a nutshell. I thought tourers and or commuters might be the best cyclists to ask this one.

Having come back into cycling after many years gap I am finding it difficult to find any clothing, especially 'trousers' that are non skin tight lycra style / tights/ or very baggy for MTB use. Back in the 80's I had several items suitable for on and off bike use, I seem to remember the 'Tudor' range was very good incl an excellent tracksuit with long legs and high backed waist. I've scoured the net/Wiggle/Evans etc and can see nothing similar.

Ideally any 'trouser' with narrowish legs, pref foot loops, zipped ankle. braces would be great, high waisted back etc - anyone seen any?

Comments

• 1footedninja
    1footedninja Posts: 269
    Ground effect Ranchsliders are great, they advertise them as 'casual baggy' but get your exact size and they are far from baggy - Im 6ft and got a set of mediums and they are just a bit bigger than skinny fit on me.

not got the foot loops in but sure you could sow your own bit of elasticated material into the bottoms of them if you so wished to have that.

neat bit is the velcro to act like a trouser clip and keep your trousers from flapping into the chain - chainsuck whatever they call it.

I know alwaysriding.co.uk have a few different 'urban cycling' items on their website, might be worth checking them out as well for what your after.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Ronhills?
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Ronhill Bikester or Trackster
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • BRIDKID
    BRIDKID Posts: 51
    Thank you all - internet searches for tracksuit had brought up zilch but the Ron Hills look like more or less the same thing under a different name.

Job done - ta.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Ground effect Ranchsliders are great, they advertise them as 'casual baggy' but get your exact size and they are far from baggy - Im 6ft and got a set of mediums and they are just a bit bigger than skinny fit on me.

Those do look very good,

I'm 6' 3" and long in the waist so I'd like to try these but can't find any UK shops or stockists. Any ideas where I could see a pair in the flesh before spending the cash?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 2b118s57p0

old style tudor tights

I wear them in winter with a set of clip-on braces to keep them up. But I have to sneak out without the wife spotting me. stylish they are not, but very warm and practical.
    Ronhills are better looking but not so warm. Fleece long johns are needed with them in winter. The water resistant dxb fabric is worth the extra for smooth feel and rapid drying and keeping off a little light rain. I do not like the foot loops which tend to pull them down, especially when you have long legs. if you cut off the loops the bottoms can be a bit loose rather near your chanwheel, so I tend to tuck them in my socks.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • 1footedninja
    1footedninja Posts: 269
    Bill Gates wrote:

Those do look very good,

I'm 6' 3" and long in the waist so I'd like to try these but can't find any UK shops or stockists. Any ideas where I could see a pair in the flesh before spending the cash?

unless you know someone who has a pair then your chances of seeing a pair 'in the flesh' are pretty much zilch. Ground Effect are a New Zealand company & ship their kit from NZ via their website. No UK stockists as far as I know. Let alone any stockists for that matter. Your best bet if you really want them is to size yourself up for what you want , order them and if they don't fit exactly how you want them, send 'em back, their good on that & ship quite quickly.

Every bit of kit Ive bought from them performs great, I practically wear their merino wool tees all the time they are so comfy
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I got a pair of the Ron Hills ages ago, but unless they have changed the material substantially I would say they weren't all that good for cycling in as they seem to let the cold air straight through compared to lycra type roubaix tights. They have been much better for playing football in the winter! but I still leave the stirrups off and tuck them into my socks to stop them pulling down.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I know endura do a set of cycling trousers although I can't remember the product name. THey are approx £55.