Good Commuting Bike at £350 mark?

alanmck1971
alanmck1971 Posts: 85
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Please advise suggestions for a decent commuting bike for about £350 mark.

I have had suggestions of a Kona Smoke and Ridgeback Rapide Comet

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Where do you live and would you consider a single speed? Fuji track is available from ebarg.com for 350... Or have a look at discountbicycles.com
  • Suerdusty
    Suerdusty Posts: 20
    GT Transeo simples
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Following on from LiT's SS suggestion, Edwardes in Camberwell are selling the 2009 Schwinn Madison for £399.

But it does depend very much on your needs. Do you want low maintenance, high speed, a light frame or do you need a solid frame, a rack etc? How far is your commute and what kind of roads will you be travelling? Do you like drop bars?

More information required.
  • I live in Dundee. The commute is a 6 mile round trip that included's a hill. I already own a road bike. Most of the journey is on a cycle path/pavement but there is a section that is rutted with tree roots and broken pavement which does not help a road bike.
    I would like something light and fast - dont need racks.
    There are a couple of local bike shops that stock Spez, Giant and Ridgeback. Like the look of Ridgeback Comet.
    Would like a Tricross but too pricey!!.

Thanks for your opinions.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hmmmmm.

*strokes imaginary beard thoughtfully*

What road bike do you currently own?

My concern is that if you already have a roadie, you're not going to gain an awful lot by splashing out on a hybrid. I would say for the route you describe above that a roadie is the best choice, and maybe try to detour around the rough bit.

You also say you want something fast and light, which would lead me to recommend a road bike. Road bikes, despite their flimsy appearance are really very tough...
  • tyk3
    tyk3 Posts: 13
    Where do you live and would you consider a single speed? Fuji track is available from ebarg.com for 350... Or have a look at discountbicycles.com

I think you mean discountbicycles.co.uk.

The .com link goes to one of those horrible domain squatting advertising sites.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    £390 - not sure if its today only because of the sale this weekend

I'm resisting clicking the buy button myself :oops:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Charg ... 360039071/
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Decathalon option?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    tyk3 wrote:

I think you mean discountbicycles.co.uk.

The .com link goes to one of those horrible domain squatting advertising sites.

She meant the north's finest cyclery, ebarg.gum, I think.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Specialized Singlecross (singlespeed version of the Tricross).

I believe they've stopped making it for 2010, but the 2009 versions should be around your budget
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    +1 for Edinburgh Cycles, the Revolution range is great value.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 333c018336