Where to start in the Mendips?

Happy Harry
Happy Harry Posts: 345
edited June 2010 in Routes
I've got a couple of weeks leave coming up and will probably spend some time exploring the west Mendips. I've never been there, but I have got the relevant OS Explorer 141 and can see plenty of bridleways.

Can anyone suggest a suitable starting point/car park and maybe a basic loop which I can use to get a feel for the place before I start exploring?

Thank you 8)
Canyon XC 8.0 '11
Whyte 19 steel '10

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A good starting place would be Burrington coombe. From there head up to Beacon Batch. From here I would head down to Velvet bottom, this takes you to the top of Cheddar Gorge. If you head south along the road (away from cheddar) you will eventually see a gate on the right with a Cheddar Caves sign (no parking) behind the gate is a gravel track headed up the hill. This takes you up to the cliff tops and a pretty gnarly long downhill trail all the way to the tower at the top of Jacobs ladder, just to the left of the tower is a path headed in to the woods, follow this down to the village. After a quick pint of Cheddar Valley cloudy cider at The Mill I ride up the track up the side of the the quarry, this goes back up to the top of beacon batch, there are loads of downhill routes back to Burrington coombe.
    I know there are lots of little loops you can add in to this route too add a bit more interest.
  • Happy Harry
    Thanks Rockmonkey, just followed that roughly on the OS map and I see there are a couple of handy car parks at Burrington Combe to kick off from. I like the idea of a pint of scrumpy half-way but I'm not sure if I'll be able to tackle a quarry after it :?

Perhaps I'll do it sober the first time and save the cider for when I know the way :lol:

There are a lot of closely packed contour lines around the Gorge. Looks like there might be a bit of pushing and puffing there :oops:

Cheers for the tips.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You ride up the track by the side of the quarry, not through it unless you like the idea of riding through a working quarry this is the only really tough climb on this route. If it's this week you are in the area don't forget that all major roads in the area will be completely jammed Friday, Sunday & Monday because of the festival.
    Longleat Stourhead & Gare Hill are worth exploring as well, lots of nice trails..
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    Hi there, most of the best riding you wont find on a map, but Badass bikes in Burrington combe should be able to give you some pointers. A couple of us will be heading out there Friday afternoon if thats Any help.
  • Happy Harry
    Thanks for the advice. I won't be over Friday but thanks for the offer.

I've downloaded a trail guide pdf from Bad Ass Bikes from here
    http://www.mendipmountainbiketrails.com/
    and I reckon their blue route will be a good intro to the area. I'm looking forward to it.

Rockmonkey - thanx for the tips. I know Longleat as it's quite close and I'm planning to get down to Stourhead in the near future.

Cheers.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10