Mongoose Sabrosa 3x8 2009 handlebar build

aircooleddude
aircooleddude Posts: 79
edited June 2010 in The workshop
Hi all,

I'm just after a bit of advice please. I have a few bikes, but am about to change my communiting bike to travel to work on a Mongoose Sabrosa 3x8 (2009). I have just bought this and need to put the handlebars, stem etc on. I have the manual and torque settings. The torques settings however have two numbers for each eg handlebar clamp 12/16. Is this the maxiumum and minimum recommended torques?

Secondly, I do not have a torque number in the manual for the screw that goes vertically down into the short upright tube on the front of the frame ( the one that holds the stem/turner onto the actual frame and is tightened with a hex key). Does anybody have any recommendations for tightening this as I don't want to overtighten it but also doesn't want the stem to come off while I'm riding and also my wife will be using this bike with a bike seat on the back for our 2 yeard old so I need to ensure it's fully safe.

Thanks all.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The vertical bolt you are talking about, if an Aheadset sytem [threadless] does not hold the stem on - the stem side bolts hold the stem on. When the stem bolts are loose, this top cap bolt is used to preload the headset bearings, so is no torque value, you adjust it until there is no play in the headset, then do up the stem bolts.

I am guessing the figures are a range of torques.