Hope they make an adjustable post....

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Rumour the other day that Hope are going to make an adjustable seatpost thats'
a. Affordable (unlike the RockShox or Spesh offerings)
b. Good engineering (unlike the Gravity Dropper)
c. Will last (unlike the Pure Racing i900)
d. Will have a useable, 6 inch drop.

any truth in it or am I 'hoping' for too much for a sub-£100 piece
of kit that might last a season in the UK??????
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    e. will fit 27.2 frame!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if it is being made by hope it will cost a fortune, just like everything they make.

as far as good engineering goes, i think the gravity dropper maybe a little agricultural according to the folk who have used them but they are the most reliable version of an adjustable post. hope will over engineer it and charge a premium then folk will wet their knickers and buy them as fast as they can be made.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    if it is being made by hope it will cost a fortune, just like everything they make.

as far as good engineering goes, i think the gravity dropper maybe a little agricultural according to the folk who have used them but they are the most reliable version of an adjustable post. hope will over engineer it and charge a premium then folk will wet their knickers and buy them as fast as they can be made.

+ hugely expensive, but very pretty anodized potatoes

I just don't get this massive hardon some people have for Hope stuff. it's a bit like Fox.

Still, time will tell. Rockshox are supposed to be doing one too aren't they?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I can't see much change from 200 sheets.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Everyone I know who actually owns one of the more recent Gravity droppers says they are great, and work flawlessly in much every type of weather.

Can't really ask for much more than that.

I think a lot of it is a bad reputation built largely on the first models.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    What's wrong with a QR ?
  • prb007
    nickfrog wrote:
    What's wrong with a QR ?

Nothing wrong, per se, but a decent, affordable, remote-controlled
    adjustable post can't be out of engineers' grasps, can it?

Besides which, nothing wrong with a bit of bike bling, either.

My i900 seemed ok, but started to slip within 12 hrs of use (not continuous, I might add!),
    it looked well made, and seemed 'tight' enough, but just gave up the ghost.......ho, hum.........

btw; the RS reverb is sure to be £220+ over here....

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/05/15/roc ... seat-post/
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    What bout a dropable seatpost for hardtails, like the Thudbuster but telescopic?

I'd buy one tomorrow...if it wasn't a small fortune.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    prb007 wrote:
    Rumour the other day that Hope are going to make an adjustable seatpost thats'
    a. Affordable (unlike the RockShox or Spesh offerings)
    d. Will have a useable, 6 inch drop.

a: It will not be cheap, Hope are overpriced on everything. Droppable seatposts are a niche market, so they wont be a cheap and cheerful commodity part
    b: Please define good engineering? Are not confusing this with quality?
    c: Maintenance is the key, nothing with movable parts will last without periodic maintenance
    d: A 6 inch drop post would be way too much for my and other all mountain bike/s.
    e: Crank Bros Joplin. (not to be confused with the Speedball)
    Affordable
    Very well engineered and good quality.
    Mine's worked for over two years without skipping a beat (I weigh 200LBS+ too)
    No it doesn't do 6 inches of drop, but then again I don't need that much

So the product is out there but you're depriving yourself doe the sake of two inches of drop. :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited June 2010
    prb007 wrote:

any truth in it or am I 'hoping' for too much for a sub-£100 piece
    of kit that might last a season in the UK??????

b) What's wrong with the engineering of the GD? It's the most reliable dropper out there and also the lightest of the main runners. Very simple, very effective. Good engineering means not making things more complicated than they have to be. The gaitor is ugly as sin but it also does the job that most of the competition's seals can't do.

c) The newer i900s with the new seals seem to be pretty reliable, I wouldn't judge them by the earlier ones which were just not fit for purpose.

As for the last... Hope's non-dropper seatpost is laughably expensive at £70, do you really think they'll deliver what you want for under £200? Probably more. Assuming there's any truth in it at all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I have one of the newer i950's which came out at the end of last year, same as the i900 except inline head. Ive used it 2/3 times a week for 6 months now including all the winter filth, no cover on it, not touched the internals, works flawlessly still. They are a lot of money and add a load of weight but I would never go back to a normal post even for "normal" xc use as just dropping it an inch makes such a difference.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    With the speed Hope got their standard post out, technology would of moved on by the time they get a dropper post out. We'll all be on hover bikes and not have the need for such antique things.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I dont understand why cannondale never bought one out. They have had the know how for years with their Lefty fork but really missed the boat...
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I doubt it'll be cheap, if anyone was going to be able to make it cheap it would be one of the big suspension companies...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i highly doubt it will be cheap.

the new rock shox reverb is going to come out pretty soon as the guys at pinkbike already done some early tests and they think they are pretty good.
    check this vid out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX8fm1EhGvs

i quite like it. depends on price though
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm not buying that purely because of the number of times he says "very unique" or "most unique". IT'S EITHER UNIQUE OR IT ISN'T YOU INBRED HILLBILLY LOOKING FUDD. Therefore I shall boycott both your seatpost, and the bars named after you.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • prb007
    Northwind wrote:
    I'm not buying that purely because of the number of times he says "very unique" or "most unique". IT'S EITHER UNIQUE OR IT ISN'T YOU INBRED HILLBILLY LOOKING FUDD. Therefore I shall boycott both your seatpost, and the bars named after you.

Harsh, but funny, in a 'mate, you need anger-management therapy' kind-of-way.
    FUDD - I shall endeavour to use that derogatory adjective asap in everyday speech :D