Any problems with Evans Cycles?

Guisamo
Guisamo Posts: 70
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Is anyone else experiencing really long delivery times with Evans? Ordered last Sunday, money came out Tuesday, still nothing Saturday! Rang them on Thurs, said they had a back log and it still hadn't been shipped.

I know it's their sale period but this is a long time, I'm starting think it ain't coming.
Is anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    No.
  • DoodleUK
    DoodleUK Posts: 48
    Yeah, i ordered a couple of things early this week and they took the money out the day after but still not heard anything about my order :?
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Yes

7 Days for a presta to schrader valve adapter
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    stuff has always arrived but it's by no means the fastest out of the main ones.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Took around a week for my Sombrio Cartel Gloves to arrive, but at £10 down from £30, I'm still not complaining.

As blister pus says, they've never been able to compete with CRC, Merlin, Superstar etc for delivery times anyway, so with increased volume, it's bound to be a bit slower.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Yup, waited 7 days for delivery of a new Spesh helmet :?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    I ordered the Sombrio Cartel gloves too, but I'm in no real rush to get them.
    Having said that, it has been 5 days.

If we're talking top delivery performance, try Descent Gear.
    Ordered replacement lenses for my Spy Alloys at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon, and they arrived in Central Scotland at 9am the next day. Beat that CRC!
    http://www.descent-gear.com/
  • Ronocco111
    Ronocco111 Posts: 70
    YES! ordered my new bike on the 29th May with 1 week delivery, 2 weeks later i was informed it would be ready on the 21st June at the earliest!!
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
  • 55NF
    55NF Posts: 111
    Ordered a Charge Sppon seat last Sunday evening & arrived the following Saturday.......... Won't be using them again. Wiggle & CRC are fastest
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    Never ordered from them but I don't like their tactic of puting ridiculously cheap prices on their out of stock stuff to get you to click into their site after a Google search.

Fair enough if you could still order it at that price but it's just a cheap trick that should be outlawed.
  • Loghopper
    Loghopper Posts: 10
    EVANS ARE AWFUL ! Ordered an Osprey Raptor 10 Hydration pack 10 days ago,when it did not turn up after a week, I called them. They keep you waiting for 10+ minutes, I was assured item was now in stock(??) and would be dispatched. Of course it did not turn up, called gain 3 days later, another long wait to get through " We can't understand why it wasn't sent out" Soonest it will be is another 3 days. Anyway I canceled my order .

In contrast I ordered some pedals from CRC and Wooly Hat shop and it arrived the next day! :D

Anyway I won't ever use them again
    Giant Trance X3
    “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong
  • Don't get Evans pricing either.

Been looking to get a Dakine Nomad over the last 10 days, when I first checked they were slightly cheaper than CRC as a price promise, now randomly gone back up to £84.99 whereas CRC remain substantially cheaper at £75.99, who they must check against?

Ordered from CRC 0716 Friday in my hands 1000 on Saturday, can't say fairer than that, and Evans lost a first sale from me as a potential ongoing customer...
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    Ordered stuff monday night no sign yet gave them a call as i got no order confirmation. He said it had gone through so i asked will it be sent out this week he said "ye , Maybe"

how annoying when i cant finish my bike build because of them. :evil:
  • TowerRider
    What has Evans price got to do with anything? They price match!
    I just get it delivered to store and pickup or not if I item does not fit.
  • Evans pricing has got everything to do with it if:

1. You don't have the convenience of a local store to pick things up from
    2. They are less competitive than the opposition and you have to email proof to obtain a price-match
    3. Their delivery and after-sales is simply not as good as CRC, Merlin, Descent Gear and others

If they were the cheapest some of the above could be overlooked - otherwise why order from them unless they've got an item you are unable to find elsewhere?

Simple economics in an educated buyer's market...
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Evans pricing has got everything to do with it if:

Evans have a whole chain of stores all over the UK, what on earth are you on about?

2. They are less competitive than the opposition and you have to email proof to obtain a price-match.
    My Sombrio Gloves were HALF the price of anywhere else. It's generally only their SALE items that are cheaper than their rivals, but the same applies to CRC and Merlin, it's just that they ALWAYS seem to have sales on.

3. Their delivery and after-sales is simply not as good as CRC, Merlin, Descent Gear and others
    When I bought my old Pinnacle from them last year, their after-sales was brilliant. Called to confirm delivery, then got another call a fewweeks after the bike arrived to ask if everything was ok with the bike. They also knocked 10% off all the other gear I purchased at the same time without me even asking.

If they were the cheapest some of the above could be overlooked - otherwise why order from them unless they've got an item you are unable to find elsewhere?

Educated Buyer? really?
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Guisamo wrote:
    Is anyone else experiencing really long delivery times with Evans? Ordered last Sunday, money came out Tuesday, still nothing Saturday! Rang them on Thurs, said they had a back log and it still hadn't been shipped.

I know it's their sale period but this is a long time, I'm starting think it ain't coming.
    Is anyone else in the same boat?

I ordered a rack and it took about a week + a few days to get to me.
  • Valy
    Don't get Evans pricing either.

Been looking to get a Dakine Nomad over the last 10 days, when I first checked they were slightly cheaper than CRC as a price promise, now randomly gone back up to £84.99 whereas CRC remain substantially cheaper at £75.99, who they must check against?

Ordered from CRC 0716 Friday in my hands 1000 on Saturday, can't say fairer than that, and Evans lost a first sale from me as a potential ongoing customer...

Erm, hello der, price match?

Either through internets or walk in with a printout of the price and as long as it's legit, bam, done.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Valy wrote:

Either through internets or walk in with a printout of the price and as long as it's legit, bam, done.

Yeh, but like he says, next day delivery is pretty much asstandard from places like CRC. So even if Evans DID offer price match, they'd still lose the sale based on the slower delivery times.
  • Valy
    Valy wrote:

Yeh, but like he says, next day delivery is pretty much asstandard from places like CRC. So even if Evans DID offer price match, they'd still lose the sale based on the slower delivery times.

I see.

I mix and match for the best price or item availability.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    They've likely been busier than usual lately due to the warehouse sale. I've placed a couple of sake orders and both arrived in 2 or 3 days with the exception of one item that was only in stock in a store so I've been waiting for it to get sent back to the warehouse then posted to me. Bit annoying the order shows as successful on the web-site but after ringing them they confirmed it was still showing as waiting to be shipped.
  • TowerRider
    Evans pricing has got everything to do with it if:

Evans have a whole chain of stores all over the UK, what on earth are you on about?

2. They are less competitive than the opposition and you have to email proof to obtain a price-match.
    My Sombrio Gloves were HALF the price of anywhere else. It's generally only their SALE items that are cheaper than their rivals, but the same applies to CRC and Merlin, it's just that they ALWAYS seem to have sales on.

When I bought my old Pinnacle from them last year, their after-sales was brilliant. Called to confirm delivery, then got another call a fewweeks after the bike arrived to ask if everything was ok with the bike. They also knocked 10% off all the other gear I purchased at the same time without me even asking.

Educated Buyer? really?

Saved me replying, plus you don't need to email.
  • Guisamo
    Guisamo Posts: 70
    Order arrived yesterday via UPS, a week and a day after ordering. At least I know now about their turnaround times, usually use wiggle, crc etc.

Anyway can't complain really, Joplin 3 seat post with remote £129.99, nowhere else came any where close to that price.

Thanks for all the feedback.
  • Still seem to be as bad. I ordered a bike on a Wednesday morning. No body in the house during the working week so paid the £35 for a Saturday a.m. delivery. The bike never arrived. Phoned Evans at 3:30pm to enquire and told someone would call back 'very soon'. One later I had to phone them again but they knew nothing. Ended up cancelling the whole order.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I've used them a few times. Good customer service when i've returned stuff. They have some smoking deals on, but ss other say they are not the quickest. If you're in a hurry for stuff your LBS is probably the best bet. Otherwise Chainreaction and Wiggle.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still seem to be as bad. I ordered a bike on a Wednesday morning. No body in the house during the working week so paid the £35 for a Saturday a.m. delivery. The bike never arrived. Phoned Evans at 3:30pm to enquire and told someone would call back 'very soon'. One later I had to phone them again but they knew nothing. Ended up cancelling the whole order.
    Join. Moan. Vanish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools