Law enforcement?

tvi_82
tvi_82 Posts: 32
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Do the cops ever bother with cyclists?

I do a lot of driving and a lot of city centre driving, and always see the road laws being broken.

RLJ and Riding on pavements mostly but tonight i was behind a girl on a bike for about 15 mins and she was doing well...... untill she went down a one-way street that the cops were on and she was cycling into oncoming traffic (taxi had to move out of her way) but the cops never even battered an eye.

Also why do people think "ohh a red light, i`ll get round it by going on the pavement" then jump back onto the road.

Comments

• I cant speak for London, but nottingham police have had a bit of a crackdown lately. They've been issuing fixed penalty notices (mainly to students :lol: ) for these sorts of traffic offences. I saw four or five get done when i went to the post office in dunkirk the other week which was v'funny as they were ridinig on the pavement to avoid a 2min detour on a cyclepath.
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    tvi_82 wrote:

I do a lot of driving and a lot of city centre driving, and always see the road laws being broken.

RLJ and Riding on pavements mostly but tonight i was behind a girl on a bike for about 15 mins and she was doing well...... untill she went down a one-way street that the cops were on and she was cycling into oncoming traffic (taxi had to move out of her way) but the cops never even battered an eye.

Also why do people think "ohh a red light, i`ll get round it by going on the pavement" then jump back onto the road.
    This is a true story. Only the names have been changed.

However, motorists never run red lights, speed, drive in bus lanes, park illegally and dangerously, drive into cyclists or kill 3000 people a year at an hourly rate approximately 1000 times that of cyclists.

All of that was in a J K Rowling book. Or was it Shrek? Yeah, he was a troll, wasn't he.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    tvi_82 wrote:

Because in many peoples mind it is a bit of a hazy area. Like getting off your bike at a crossroads on green for pedestrian and walking across.. Presumably that's fine, so why is it so bad to just cycle across it slowly?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    And on top of that, it seems that people with influence think it is okay to run red lights in certain scenarios where it may be safe

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... n-light.do
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • tvi_82

However, motorists never run red lights, speed, drive in bus lanes, park illegally and dangerously, drive into cyclists or kill 3000 people a year at an hourly rate approximately 1000 times that of cyclists.

All of that was in a J K Rowling book. Or was it Shrek? Yeah, he was a troll, wasn't he.

And whats that got to do with people on bikes breaking the law in front of cops and nothing being said?

Thanks for your time tho!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Around where you live I've seen just as many cycling police persons breaking road laws as normal cyclists.

Some also enjoy a little off-roading and leave Tesco Wishaw petrol station by cycling down the dirt verge. Way to show the general public how you should ride responsibly :roll:
  • always_tyred
    tvi_82 wrote:

And whats that got to do with people on bikes breaking the law in front of cops and nothing being said?

Thanks for your time tho!
    Bit like the total lack of enforcement of ASL's and bus lanes, I guess.

I think its still illegal to blaspheme or to denegrate the crown, but the Rozzers also don't seem to routinely collar people for saying, "Oh for christ's sake why doesn't that silly old biddy abdicate?"

I think the terms "discretion" and "proportion", or the concepts of "danger" and "public interest" might apply. If a cyclist travelled at 30 mph up a one way street on a 5 foot wide bicycle weighing one ton, they might take another view.

Do you even own a bicycle?
  • tvi_82

Me, NO i`m just here for the Craic.
  • always_tyred
    tvi_82 wrote:

Me, NO i`m just here for the Craic.
    Is your IQ as low as I think it is?
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Quoted from here:
    Many of the cyclists participating in the role play (where's the Yorkie? the Sun? the England flags?) had been nicked earlier for some traffic offence - busting red lights, pavement riding etc. They were here this morning on the promise of having their fine rescinded if they attended this training session.

So at least some coppers are keeping an eye on the situation.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    tvi_82 wrote:

*yawn* You might want to repost that here, they have weekly RLJ effigy burnings.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    tvi_82 wrote:

Well, technically I think Shrek was an ogre...

Billy goats gruff, now I'm sure that had a troll in it.

TROLL-BANK-GR1.jpeg
  • always_tyred
    Is that John, or Edward?