Courses for the other half

Quirrel
Quirrel Posts: 235
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
The missus, bless her, is small. She needs a 13" frame to ride.

After a load of hassle finding a bike, we eventually settled on a Trek Skye S - it's small, light, does what it's meant to do and she loves it.

Problem is the missus has never ridden a bike with gears before, she does really well, but would really benefit from somebody, a teacher, explaining to her about shifting gears for hills and decending etc.

The chances of her going on anything more exciting than a blue run are remote, but at the same time, it would really benefit her and she would listen to a dedicated teacher rather than me (one of the wonders of different cultures - teachers speak the gospel, husband speaks crap)

The courses I've looked at in the North, Yorkshire way, all state she would need a suitable bike, which I worry that her lovely Skye isn't, but I'm sure it is.

So long and short of it is - is her Skye S suitable for a bike course and will she benefit from it?

I could do with a course as well, but I think she would do better on an all ladies course rather than me being there.

Any recommendations of courses in the North East? I know I was looking at some the other day, but have just had a complete mind blank.

Comments

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    well can't make any reccomendations on courses, but having googled the bike, she'll be fine. It isn't like she's going to be on a course learning to do drops! Just make sure it's all setup, gears and brakes are working and the tyres are appropriate and get her on a beginners course. You right tho, i'll take hints from anyone except my boyfriend! :roll:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    mea00csf wrote:
    well can't make any reccomendations on courses, but having googled the bike, she'll be fine. It isn't like she's going to be on a course learning to do drops! Just make sure it's all setup, gears and brakes are working and the tyres are appropriate and get her on a beginners course. You right tho, i'll take hints from anyone except my boyfriend! :roll:

Now why is that, every time I try to help the missus with techniques she pretty much blanks me and its bloody frustrating, annoying thing is she clearly never listens as she always does the same mistakes.

Women!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yep, get her on a ladies only course :D

I'm not in your area so can't recommend anywhere, but as a girlie who was taught to ride by her partner I can confirm that it's VERY tricky to not get annoyed and be objective when it's your other half. I have no idea why! Much better a nice unknown person teaches her the basics (if she's anything like my friends, then if that happens to be some fit 18 year old bloke then then even better :wink: )

Briggo - I think that's it, it's the 100th 'you need to get your weight back more' (or whatever) that's grating... We KNOW what you're saying, and what we're meant to be doing, it's the actual DOING it that's the problem. In my experience such situations usually end in tears and / or declarations that we're never doing this again :wink: :oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Two suggestions for skills courses - Dales Mountain Biking in Swaledale (Reeth)

http://www.dalesmountainbiking.co.uk/

And The Hub at Glentress

http://www.thehubintheforest.co.uk

Been on courses with both and both are recommended - DMB will be closer but the instructors at the Hub are female (Tracey and Emma) and they also do women only courses.
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    www.great-rock.co.uk
    I've been on the ladies course and learnt loads :D
    Caz xx
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    We're up at Glentress this weekend. (her to go on an easy ride with the SIL and niece, me to be scared crapless by my nephew)

I'll look into it when we are up there.