What rush hour could look like

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    The more time I spend on the bike the more I long for the days ahead where fuel costs too much to be wasted and the roads become busy with more two wheeled traffic.

I am heading over to the Nederlands for the start of the tour and can't wait to see what it's like over there.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I think I would become incredibly frustrated being stuck behind slower cyclists if there were that many of them.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Wow, they ride fast! It's amazing there are no accidents.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575
    Agent57 wrote:
    I think I would become incredibly frustrated being stuck behind slower cyclists if there were that many of them.

I take your point, but I think with a little practice, I could get used to pootling on something with a basket and a chain case. <sighs wistfully>

Particularly like the bike and side car that passes through.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tvi_82
    tvi_82 Posts: 32
    @30 second into video, its that guy riding 2 bikes :shock:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Agent57 wrote:

I find walk commuting bad enough - I find it frustrating walking around London with all of the slow pedestrians...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    That is amazing, but not only for britain, this could be used through the majority of the world as an example of efficient, nearly silent and good for the enviroment commuting.

I don't think it could be implemented here, people there don't do RLJ. :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mikef22
    mikef22 Posts: 14
    amazing vid.. just think how good it would be to have something like that here in Britain
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Agent57 wrote:

It is, my god, it is. What you don't see from that video is that they're almost all riding at 8mph. If you jog you can keep up with bikes in Holland. I've only spent a couple of days in Utrecht, but it didn't seem too different. Having cycled around a few towns, and spent a good amount of time in the so-called bike mecca of Copenhagen, it's a hellish place for cycling if you like going at any kind of speed.

There's something nice about it being just a way to get around, but you don't get any exercise cycling there. Give me London any day.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Two observations: that's an Icelandic website. I just got back from there. Cool.

That video is 1:60 long. In Holland, even time is metric.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Agent57 wrote:

I become frustrated with slower cyclists now, but that's because cars become stuck behind them on narrow (or heavily parked) roads and I'm then stuck behind the cars. If there were only cyclists on the road, I'd have much more chance of getting past and proceeding at my own pace.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I found it easy enough to keep up a decent pace in Delft on a bike during rush hour. In the town centres it gets slower but, tbh, the London Embankment seems pretty slow to me and dangerous with it. If you've got lots of cycles, segregated or not, everyone ends up moving slower but it is a price worth paying.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Nice! I'm moving to the Netherlands in a few weeks. :D

I think I'll keep the road bike for out in the country and pootle to work on a fixie. Can't wait.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,230
    Agent57 wrote:

It is, my god, it is. What you don't see from that video is that they're almost all riding at 8mph. If you jog you can keep up with bikes in Holland. I've only spent a couple of days in Utrecht, but it didn't seem too different. Having cycled around a few towns, and spent a good amount of time in the so-called bike mecca of Copenhagen, it's a hellish place for cycling if you like going at any kind of speed.

There's something nice about it being just a way to get around, but you don't get any exercise cycling there. Give me London any day.

Having moved from London to Copenhagen it took my a good five years to adjust to cycling here. Never had any accidents in London, had two here. I still cycle fairly quickly, but when I have to I pootle. It's a big attitude adjustment, have to be far more laid back and let the conditions dictate the pace rather than trying to force it. Then when a bit of cycle path opens up ahead of you.... BOOM!

EDIT: Of course, the point about Copenhagen being a cycling Mecca is that here cycling is open to everyone - the old, the unfit, kids, it's not restricted to those that have the bottle to assert themselves in the traffic. Yes it gets crowded, no you can't always go fast, but it's a lot more democratic :-) When you see old grannies cycling through the snow then you realise what that's worth!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Agent57 wrote:

Visiting Eindhoven and Nijmegen on work I noticed that as a pedestrian, I had to keep my wits about me far more than in the UK, as bikes would seem to cmoe at me from all directions. A nearly-silent 8-mph seems fast to a pedestrian.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    ince wrote:
    The more time I spend on the bike the more I long for the days ahead where fuel costs too much to be wasted and the roads become busy with more two wheeled traffic.

It was called the 1970's , and a wonderful time it was.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Visiting Eindhoven and Nijmegen on work I noticed that as a pedestrian, I had to keep my wits about me far more than in the UK, as bikes would seem to cmoe at me from all directions. A nearly-silent 8-mph seems fast to a pedestrian.

I found that in Delft as well with the difference that you could easily end up in a canal!
    Faster than a tent.......