2.0 tyres

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Are 2.0 conti mountain kings going to make trails difficult for me?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If by difficult you mean slipping about everywhere, then yes, they will make things difficult :wink:
  • bennett_346
    Crap. I was idiot enough to mistake a 2.0 for a 2.2. Is it just the size or is the tyre itself bad too?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It's pretty bad IMHO unless you get the black chilli compound but that makes it really expensive and no better than much cheaper tyres
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not necessarily, it all depends on how skilled and fast you go.

If your not that fast and are doing cross country type trails in dry(ish) conditions they may even help you by being lighter and with less rolling resistance.

As they're quite narrow you may not want to run them at too lower a pressure to avoid pinch flats.
  • bennett_346
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Not necessarily, it all depends on how skilled and fast you go.

If your not that fast and are doing cross country type trails in dry(ish) conditions they may even help you by being lighter and with less rolling resistance.

As they're quite narrow you may not want to run them at too lower a pressure to avoid pinch flats.
    Reassuring, thanks, i don't blast down trails but i do corner pretty strongly, do they have decent grip when cornering?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    In some conditions, yes. But as with all tyres, they have their ups and downs - all tyres are a compromise, no one excels everywhere.
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    In some conditions, yes. But as with all tyres, they have their ups and downs - all tyres are a compromise, no one excels everywhere.
    Im tempted to use these conti's for everyday use on my way to school or just messing around in our local wooded area that i live next to. Its mainly hardpack so it should be fine. I'll stick my 2.35 stock tyres on for proper rides.
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    Mountain Kings are narrow for there size but put it on the back with 3 bar in it and you'll fly.
    I find them good on the hard pack and the muddy bits you tend to get in thick woods at this time of year.
    Not great on wet roots but hey, skill has to come in at some point.
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • bennett_346
    Is that better than their reccomendation of 50psi?
  • NormalD
    Is that better than their reccomendation of 50psi?

3 Bar, 50psi not much in it (I only got a meter last week and discovered I've been riding with very low pressures)

I bought my mountain king because it was cheep and then read some very bad comments on it but the rides I've done so far I'm really happy with it.
    Like I say on the back it rolls very well. Don't know how well it will last but no point in worring about the future.

Just get out and ride.
    Normal Disk 2009

Alfa 156 SW
  • bennett_346
    3 bar = 43psi. I'll probably run it higher than that, to avoid snake bites because of the thinness of the tyre.
  • NormalD
    I've now put this on the front as it was wearing very quickly on the back. (about half my miles are on road)
    Normal Disk 2009

Alfa 156 SW