Trossachs Ton this Sunday - beware the locals!

pneumatic
pneumatic Posts: 1,989
Anyone else doing this one?

The bit around Loch Katrine was midge madness last year (I emerged looking like I had contracted chicken pox) and, this year, the little beggars have woken from the frozen tundra in unprecedented numbers, hungry and merciless.

My advice would be to plaster yourselves in Avon Skinsosoft.

Apart from that, I'm looking forward to it, even though I haven't trained properly and the last 20 miles are sure to be a horrible ordeal.

Fast and Bulbous
Peregrinations
Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

Comments

• amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    I am doing it. Weather forecast looks good. Lots of info on midges at http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/ including a forecast.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Desperate in Glencoe last weekend - not sure I've ever seen them so bad...
  • Snoppy
    Snoppy Posts: 37
    lol

I read something about a hybrid scottish midge? Basically this is a midge that it quite a hard midge and scoffs at such things as avon skinsosoft.

Anyway thanks for the info there 8)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Snoppy wrote:
    lol

I read something about a hybrid scottish midge? Basically this is a midge that it quite a hard midge and scoffs at such things as avon skinsosoft.

Commonly known as The Orbree Midge. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mr_quiggs
    mr_quiggs Posts: 15
    Thanks for the midgey reminder, completely forgot. I remember getting eaten alive at a BB camp at Balfron about 25 years ago.

Ned Flanders: “You were cycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were cycling to a lake.”
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    I didn't find the midges nearly as bad as last year - I emerged from the Loch Katrine loop with considerably less midge carcasses on my arms and face - although I carried my free Cycling Plus buff around to cover my mouth.
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Yes, false alarm there. There seemed to be just enough wind to keep the little b8stards grounded. :D

I spent the early part of the ride wondering whether the mixture of sun cream and jungle formula that I had just embalmed myself with might result in a chemical reaction that would dissolve human tissue. :shock:

Happily it didn't, but it did make good fly paper so that at lunch I found a few dozen midges stuck to me, wings down and probably somewhat peed off. 8)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)