Re-spacing a steel frame - anyone done it?

MrBlond
MrBlond Posts: 161
edited June 2010 in The workshop
I'm about to (attempt to) fit some track ends to an old 531 road frame.

Current spacing is about 126mm and ideally I'd like to take this down to 120 for a neat fit with a track hub.

I've seen St. Sheldon's page on the subject: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html ...but has anyone actually done this?

Would it be better to re-space before removing the old drop outs, or after fitting the new track ends?

Any advice gratefully received ;-)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have never attempted to make a frame narrower - not sure the article covers that, or if it can be done.

But you should be able to respace the hub to 126mm.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    If it's just a few mm on each side just bend the stays very slightly every time you put the wheel in. I do this on my 531 frame with no issues - i think the spacing is the same as yours, 126 frame to 120 hub i.e. 3mm each side. (this only works well with steel frames).

Alternatively if the hub axle is long enough stick a couple of washers on each side.
    <a>road</a>
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    is it asking for trouble doing this to my BSO? need to go from 135 to 130
  • el_presidente
    I don't think it's as easy or as advisable on aluminium frames
    <a>road</a>
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    dont think they had aluminium frames when the BSO was built, so that isn't an issue
  • el_presidente
    fine go for it.
    <a>road</a>
  • I've done it on a Raleigh Road Ace 531 - opening it up to 130. I also tweaked the dropouts so they remained parallel, which IMHO is important to get the wheel te seat properly. Going the other way is no different. I had the use of a nice big surface table and a height gauge to check I'd bent them both the same.

With a steel frame, bending it cold a small amount such as is needed here should be no problem - unless you envisage changing it back and forth every week!