Boy Racer

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
We all are well acquainted with the boy racer stereotype out on the road.

Vauxhall Corsa (or other small car) dropped on the ground, set of alloys worth half the value of the car, up rated brakes, induction kit, big bore exhaust, momo, omp and other race brand stickers down the wing or across the boot lid. Driven around fast, late breaking and accelerating from the lights.

Me, GTR series 4, set of alloy wheels Worth over half of the value of the bike. Up graded brakes, me dressed in my branded Lycra, stickers on the components, Shimano 105, RS 20 etc. Ridden back and for to work as fast as I can, late breaking and accelerating from the lights.

Help me out here, tell me I have got it wrong....

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    ince wrote:

I've got white spokes on my new CAAD9 commuter......

I'll start making loud BOOMCHA base noises at the lights....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    Have you adjusted your saddle so your as low as possible on the bike? If you can only just see over your steering wheel (sorry handlebars) then you truly have crossed over. :D
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg T wrote:
    ince wrote:

Don't forget the dump valve noises, vroooooOOOOOOOMTSCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH vrooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOMTSCHHHHHHHH

:lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I think this bike needs some carbon tri bars...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Don't forget the dump valve noises, vroooooOOOOOOOMTSCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH vrooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOMTSCHHHHHHHH

:lol:

That's the noise my turbo'd MX5 makes :lol:

OP: I think the difference is slight but crucial. The boy racer's stickers form a shopping list of parts he'd like you to think he's bought but hasn't. Your stickers are probably what's on the bike.

And I'd be amazed if they've upgraded the brakes on the Corsa 1.2 they're driving
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • ince
    notsoblue wrote:

hmmmm, forgot about lusting after anything carbon, can you still buy that sticky backed fake carbon look stuff. Could turn my ally bike into a carbon look at half the cost. :twisted:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    ince wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

hmmmm, forgot about lusting after anything carbon, can you still buy that sticky backed fake carbon look stuff. Could turn my ally bike into a carbon look at half the cost. :twisted:

And twice the weight :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • ince
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    ince wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

And twice the weight :lol:

As all boy racers know it's looking fast that matters not how fast you can go. Why else would they drive a corsa :twisted:

The other saving grace I could think to distance myself from this sterotype is that I have a Sunday best bike that is light and quick. How many of the corsa drivers will have a skyline at home for their Sunday outings. 8)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Is a dump valve the same as a wastegate? Noob question, I suspect; I'm not a boy racer (I always had normally-aspirated Beetles, although one of them was lowered with Sway-A-Ways and had a Momo steering wheel).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Agent57 wrote:
    Is a dump valve the same as a wastegate? Noob question, I suspect; I'm not a boy racer (I always had normally-aspirated Beetles, although one of them was lowered with Sway-A-Ways and had a Momo steering wheel).

Don't think so.

I think a dump valve is a doohickey which you put at the (topological) end of your fuel injection line. It stores a small amount of fuel, and dumps it back in if the fuel pressure drops. They basically do nowt useful.

Wastegates are for releasing excess pressure, and they're used in turbos.

I think; it's been a while since I give a rodent's posterior about such things

Edit: Oh, how fascinating. I'm wrong. The dump valve does the same as I explained, but for air in forced-induction systems, not fuel. God knows what the silly little shoebox cars with no turbos whatsoever have got, but they do go Wheee----TSCCCCCCH... And everybody is warned there's a numpty approaching,
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    A dump valve works by dumping excess pressure frim the intake upstream of the throttle plate back to the turbo, it stops the pressure stalling the turbine and allowing it to spool up a bit faster when you get back on the throttle, they are activated usually by the vacum when you close the throttle.

The wastegate is on the turbo itself and opens at a certain pressure to stop the turbo supplying too much boost and basically blowing the engine apart, it's opened by a pressure switch called an acutator thats set at a certain pressure.

I used to have a pristine Renault 5 GT Turbo years and years ago and to keep them running you have to learn a thing or too, I actually prefered mine without a dump valve and mine apart from a better clutch and an intercooler that I know wouldnt blow it's ends off was standard.

I only sold it because it was basically it was made of paper thin metal and it didnt feel all that safe.
  • davis
    So what the bobbins is the thing making the silly noise on cars that plainly don't have a turbo? Is it just more of the same thinking that gives us carbon-look-effect-maybe-in-the-right-light-and-you-don't-know-what-carbon-looks-like-anyway tape? I.e. is it just some tat that makes a sound like a dump valve?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    edited June 2010
    Agent57 wrote:
    Nope.

A wastegate diverts the flow of exhaust gas away from the turbine wheel to stop the boost pressure going too high. They usually aren't noisy unless the wastegate vents externally.

A dump valve allows excess pressurised air to escape from the piping just before the throttle body - when you take your foot off the throttle the turbo momentarily keeps on pushing pressurised air to the engine but that air can't get in when the throttle's closed and has to go somewhere. The nova-driving tracksuited underclass usually fit extra loud ones to impress their pimply mates, although dump valves do have a useful function.

Anti-lag is what you need if you really want to be immature and get rally style pops, bangs & flames out of the exhaust :wink:

[Edit: Paul E beat me to it...]
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    davis wrote:
    God knows what the silly little shoebox cars with no turbos whatsoever have got, but they do go Wheee----TSCCCCCCH... And everybody is warned there's a numpty approaching,

They've got one of these.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Stevo_666
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davis wrote:
    God knows what the silly little shoebox cars with no turbos whatsoever have got, but they do go Wheee----TSCCCCCCH... And everybody is warned there's a numpty approaching,

:D

Often seen in conjunction with these.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    edited June 2010
    Greg T wrote:
    ince wrote:

wwWWWAAAAAARRRrrrp
    warp-warp-warp
    wwWWAARRrrp-wwWWAAARRrrp
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    And seen acting like knobheads here.

• ince
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davis wrote:

Wow £137 just to make your car go phsssssssssssss. I'm sorry but to invest that amount of cash into a speaker in a box ... well what can you say. That's like sticking a pair of socks in your pants.
  • davis
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davis wrote:

Seriously? Deliberately? As in, they knowingly and willingly paid actual monies for this?

Seduce a mallard, there are some genuinely thick people about.
  • Stevo_666
    davis wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davis wrote:

Seriously? Deliberately? As in, they knowingly and willingly paid actual monies for this?

Seduce a mallard, there are some genuinely thick people about.
    Yes, honestly.

Plenty more related material here: :)
    http://www.barryboys.co.uk/mx/
  • s1lko
    s1lko Posts: 39
    Is this where I hang my head in shame as a former Features Editor at Fast Car magazine? In a former life, of course.

I hate to think how many shed-driving chimps I encouraged. Sorry guys (and girls).
  • davis
    s1lko wrote:
    Is this where I hang my head in shame as a former Features Editor at Fast Car magazine? In a former life, of course.

I hate to think how many shed-driving chimps I encouraged. Sorry guys (and girls).

Get out. Get out now.

okay, you can come back in now.
  • EKE_38BPM
    For shame s1lko, for shame.

Any other confessions, selling BSOs to ASDA shoppers for example.

• s1lko
    I was over-qualified to sell the BSO's. Instead, I was handed the critical task of tossing the coin to decide which way round the forks went
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    s1lko wrote:

How long ago was that, I used to help out with a car club in a limited capacity, helped more in the track day side of things rather than the "super glue and drive through halfords" brigade. not been involved for many many years though, I was always a bit of a renegade anyway lol!!
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    s1lko wrote:
    I was over-qualified to sell the BSO's. Instead, I was handed the critical task of tossing the coin to decide which way round the forks went

LOL :D
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • s1lko
    Paul E wrote:
    s1lko wrote:

How long ago was that, I used to help out with a car club in a limited capacity, helped more in the track day side of things rather than the "super glue and drive through halfords" brigade. not been involved for many many years though, I was always a bit of a renegade anyway lol!!

From 1999 to 2002.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davis wrote:

What you need for your bling bike is a set of speakers that emit that humming noise that deep section rims make. Then I guess you'd need to selotape black cardboard over your factory fit wheels to actually make them look deep-section.........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Argh so you are THAT Silko, as yes I used to read your offerings.....

Mind you I have always been into properly modified cars (that is FAST car's, not Car's that LOOK fast!)

Trying to remember when FC forgeot the difference between the two, about 1999? LOL

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • s1lko
    Argh so you are THAT Silko, as yes I used to read your offerings.....

Mind you I have always been into properly modified cars (that is FAST car's, not Car's that LOOK fast!)

Trying to remember when FC forgeot the difference between the two, about 1999? LOL

Simon

Yup, THAT one.

And you're probably right about the years. I grew up reading the old stuff but it all became what sold magazines. Basically tits/ass and sticky-on plastic gubbins