Simon Gerrans
Thomas Lofkvist
Geraint Thomas
Bradley Wiggins

And one of

Michael Barry
Sylvain Calzati
Greg Henderson

3 Brits, 3 Scandi's, a Spaniard, an Australian...
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That's quite a good team of "poachers" to bag a stage win on a hilly transition stage. Not too hot for GC support in the mountains but you can't have it all, even with a big budget.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    Kléber wrote:
    That's quite a good team of "poachers" to bag a stage win on a hilly transition stage. Not too hot for GC support in the mountains but you can't have it all, even with a big budget.

got a plan B feel to it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Would have expected to see another climber in there, but then Sky aren't spoiled for choice in that department. I thought Froome and Pauwels may have been in with a shot but guess Lofkvist, Gerrans and Cummings will ride for Brad, but none of them are proven mountain domestiques.

As mentioned though, definite stage winning potential though with EBH and Flecha.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If Calzati is the ninth man, then that's the team I would have picked (although I would have gone with Pauwels had he shown some sort of form).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I suppose they're looking for strength on those potentially dodgy early stages, then when it comes to the "big favourites" selection on the big hills Brad will inevitably have to just hang in there on his Tod.

To be fair, only the very very best are usually still there at that point, and unless they had a Liquigas multiple leader scenario or a Radio Shack uber-domestique thing they were always going to be in that position.

Cummings may well surprise a few people though...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Maybe Henderson for the sprints but don't see him winning from a full sprint. If Wiggins is to be a contender the lack of support in the mountains compared to Shack Astana or Saxo is a big problem.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Was Cummings 4th in the Giro on a hilly stage a year or two back ? And got a 5th place on a stage on this years Giro ? If he gets the luck he could definitely bag a stage, and he was working like a trojan all thru the Giro too.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Wiggins all on his own in the mountains then. I thought thats what they got Augustin in for no?

Not sure about Flecha. Yeah he's experienced, and maybe good for the stage 3 cobbles, but would Barry not be a better choice overall? not sure. Maybe they'll bring Henderson in to help EBH for the sprints?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I look at that list and see a team of sports cabriolets, when they need a couple of 4×4, off road diesels.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    I look at that list and see a team of sports cabriolets, when they need a couple of 4×4, off road diesels.

stannard?

I'm not overly critical of Sky compared with some (ok the hype was a bit much) but they have failed to protect stage race jerseys as a unit all year long..while physically they may have the manpower morale wise it may be playing on them...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    gerrans and cummings will be of some support....
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's ok, they always looked like for a Grand Tour. Lofkvist is handy. I'm surprised Augustyn and Froome didn't make the cut, Froome especially was strong in the 2008 Tour.

Gerrans and Flecha are both very individual types, they want breakaways and stage wins, dragging someone around for three weeks isn't their style, unless their chimp mojo has been reprogrammed by the management guru that is Brailsford.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Kléber wrote:
    , unless their chimp mojo has been reprogrammed by the management guru that is Brailsford.
    I'm never sure but is he still Team GB. ????
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    is Froome still injured?
    who cares?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I thought Froome would be in there - but if he's injured/been injured that may explain it. Agree it looks a bit Plan B.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Thought they had designs on the Yellow Jersey? That team seems far more suited to going for stage wins and the Green.

Having said which, now that the bombast, hubris and hype have died down and the team have quietly gone about their business I find them a lot more likeable :wink:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    According to the Guardian

Kurt Asle Arvesen
    Edvald Boasson Hagen
    Steve Cummings
    Juan Antonio Flecha
    Simon Gerrans
    Thomas Lofkvist
    Geraint Thomas
    Bradley Wiggins

And one of

Michael Barry
    Sylvain Calzati
    Greg Henderson

3 Brits, 3 Scandi's, a Spaniard, an Australian...

And only three climbers. One's the leader, another wants to be leader and the third won't work for anybody.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    This raises the question whether Brad would have got 4th without VdV cos that's the position he'll be in.

This looks to me like they're leaving Brad to do a decent top 10 on an unsuited course whilst bagging a stage or 2 and waiting for 2011 by which time they'll have bought Charly or Sly.

Strava is not Zen.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    If its Plan B what was Plan A? Froome / Augustyn injured / off form, Cioni trained for the Giro, there aren't really any other riders who'd be helpful in the mountains on the Sky roster are there? Gerrans / Lofkvist could potentially do a job, Cummings / Thomas / EBH in all but the really high stuff. The team will need a lot of discipline but if there's a chance of Wiggins placing well, I reckon they'll work hard for him.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Cioni another that you'd have thought would be there if they were really committed to Wiggins - I'm sure there will be other riders who trained for the Giro who are expected to do something in the Tour.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    calvjones wrote:
    This raises the question whether Brad would have got 4th without VdV cos that's the position he'll be in.

This looks to me like they're leaving Brad to do a decent top 10 on an unsuited course whilst bagging a stage or 2 and waiting for 2011 by which time they'll have bought Charly or Sly.

Rod Ellingworth has gone on record as saying that 2011 will be a better shot than 2010. However, I personally think that mountain domestiques are a little over rated unless you're the main man or primarily a climber. Evans, Menchov, Vande Velde and Di Luca have all fared well in GTs with minimal assistance. It's better to have them than not, but without them, you get the option to suck wheels.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Rod Ellingworth has gone on record as saying that 2011 will be a better shot than 2010. However, I personally think that mountain domestiques are a little over rated unless you're the main man or primarily a climber. Evans, Menchov, Vande Velde and Di Luca have all fared well in GTs with minimal assistance. It's better to have them than not, but without them, you get the option to suck wheels.

True true, sit on the back of the Shack or Astana trains and look after ya self. I'm still not 100% sold on Lofkvist. He always blows when the heat goes on and ends being a waste of a slot. If anyone can make it work for him i guess it will be Sky, but so far seen nothing to suggest it will be any different.