Hello, Need advice

Dom96
Dom96 Posts: 11
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi there, currently I'm running a full suspension barracuda bike pretty basic, 26inch wheels and nice brakes but looking to upgrade to a hard trial.

I've looked at the Kona fire mountain and various other bikes.
The fire mountain comes out on top for me.
http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=firemountain

Any recommendation's my budget is around £400 looking for a hard trial and must be the right size for a 6 foot 5 person as that is my estimated full grown height!

Thanks in advance, Dom
92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b7s2p1942

2009 model, no real difference to 2010, £488, in large sizes too.

But you talk about your estimated full grown height - get a bike that fits you now, or you'll regret it, especially if it's too big.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps look around you LBS for old stock - Evans had some really good deals last time I was in and a year old bike can be close on half price. Generally minimal difference in spec except the paintjob.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Dom96
    The deluxe is a little pricey but ill take a look!
    Well I'm 6 foot now so in a couple of years maybe less I'll most likely have grown to that and on my money I can't go spending much often.

What kind of size frame would I need 22inch? Sorry pretty knew to this and all.

Thanks for your help.
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig
  • Kona fire mounatin is a great bike to get started on :) RS forks and disk brakes for £400ish :D and there are too many frame sizes to choose from
  • cooldad
    Bike sizes differ between makes. Probably around 20". Best to go into a shop and try them out for size, then buy online if cheaper.
    Make sure they let you go for a ride, even if it's just a short one.

However then you have to do a bit of setting up when the box arrives.

If you are not confident might make sense to buy from a shop so it's set up properly. They also normally give you a free first service, which is not a bad idea as everything stretches initially

If you grow out of a bike, you can always lift the seatpost and put on a longer stem, basically adapt it a bit. You can't make a big bike smaller.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Kona fire mounatin is a great bike to get started on :) RS forks and disk brakes for £400ish :D and there are too many frame sizes to choose from

Mmmm wouldn't be biased would you?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • na i wouldnt but its my only bike and my first proper mounatin bike... so im probably a bit biased becase its better than a Halfords X-Rated 'Dirt Jump' Bike ;D (my first adult bike)
  • cooldad
    Totally agree, money far better spent on a decent hardtail than a junky FS or BSO.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Im sort of pleased i didnt get one of those cheapy FS bikes *Apollo Fs.26* because it would have probably put me off cycling :/
  • oh back to the link thing... Dart 2's are way better then my dart 1's :( Lockout+ adjustable Rebound i think)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Also the Dart 1's have no real damping I believe.

I personally hate Darts, really flexy and not much cheaper than some Tora's which I much prefer.
  • Everyone says that :/ but for just starting out getting Tora's would have meant an extra £250 or so :/ and the recommendation of my LBS helper person said it was better to save towards a better bike :) But the Dart 1's are better than SR Suntours XCM V2 IMO because the suntour was so soft and ultra-springy but the dart 1's were stiffer which i prefer :)
  • peter413
    So your saying the Dart was better because it had the right spring weight for you
  • Dom96
    Thanks for all the replies!
    Clearly this a nice forum where you all help each other. :D
    Before buying yes I will go into a shop and test size but like I said it may be a little big at start! Should be buying it shortly so I think I've settled on the fire mountain. :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are bikes for you budget with much better forks than the Dart 1 and XCM v2. Suntour XCR are a good fork.
  • Dom96
    Well guess what I stumbled across! :D
    Looks like quite a bargain anyone see why not?

http://s233299868.e-shop.info/shop/arti ... ml?pse=coa
  • Dom96
    Thanks, thought they seemed to good to be true.
    Evans sell them for just 440 however they only do them up to a 18inch frame which I imagine would to be too small!
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Pop into your nearest Halfords and try a Carrera Kraken. The frame sizes go as far as 20" and 22" - so one might suit someone as tall as yourself. Better specced fork than the Kona you're looking at, has hydraulic brakes, and at the moment only 30 quid over your 400 budget.
  • just a heads up, when my brother bought his fire mountain it came with quite small pedals that were not the best. So i would recommend buying some new ones along with it.
  • Dom96
    just a heads up, when my brother bought his fire mountain it came with quite small pedals that were not the best. So i would recommend buying some new ones along with it.

That looks perfect read the reviews on Halfords website seemed Ok (could be better) anyone see any reason to doubt It?
  • Warrant
    Warrant Posts: 1
    HI

I am fairly new to MT biking and would like to know if it is possible to replace worn disc pads without removind the wheel ????
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Warrant wrote:
    HI

I am fairly new to MT biking and would like to know if it is possible to replace worn disc pads without removind the wheel ????

No.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Dom96
    Well I'm In Rutland at the moment so am going to have a browse in the Rutland water bike store .
  • peter413
    thel33ter wrote:
    Warrant wrote:
    HI

No.

With some it is possible. What are the brakes.

My Hope M4 can be done without removing the wheel and I think my Elixir can as well but I haven't replaced pads in that yet
  • Dom96
    Well Just stumbled across this store checked the Ebay feedback seems good :) .
    Anybody dealt with them?

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Ko ... 90-11.html
  • Dom96
    So went down and tested It for a couple of hours, My I was impressed!
    The shocks soaked up all the bumps and up hills were not really a problem!

What a bike! can't wait to get my deluxe one.