Very creaky BB

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited June 2010 in The workshop
I guess the sensible answer will be, get it to an LBS, but I would really value the thoughts of those in the know:

My bike has developed a considerable creak (it's a second-hand bike not owned that long) on the down-stroke on either side. I am guessing it is a BB issue and intend to take itr into Brixton Cycles, but would value any opinions out there.

Comments

• there are two ways to test if its the bottom bracket thats causing the creak (its usually not) firstly take the crank arms and wiggle them in and out perpendicular to there normal motion. if there is any noticable play then its time for a new bottom bracket. the second way is to take the chain off of the ring and spin the pedals fast while listening for grinding noises on the frame. Although as above its usually a seat post or hub bearing in need of a good lube-ing that causes this issue. see the bicycle tutour website for help!
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks Pirate!

I've done both of your tests and all seems good. I have recently started using a pair of Shimano M520s and I have a vague recollection of a review complaining about creaking. Sadly I no longer have a spare set of pedals to compare them to.

Just spotted I did a double post on this thread. I hate it when that happens. Sorry!
  • jonny_trousers
    Gave the bike a good clean, lube and tighten yesterday and things seemed way better on the commute in today. I guess I may have been a little over cautious about tightening the crank arm bolts before. Is it safe for me to really tighten them hard?
  • mattdh
    mattdh Posts: 6
    I had this problem on my 2009 Specialized Allez and it turns out it was a slightly loose left pedal. This couldn't be detected simply by grabbing it and moving it. I took it off (very easily), regreased the threads and tighened it with a pedal wrench and now everything is fine.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    discovered that my creaky BB was in fact the SPDs; swapped a spare pair onto the bike and hey presto a nice quiet drivetrain.

Will try regreasing them and putting them back on, if not then it's back to CR for these, as they're only a few months old.