TFL fares likely to rise by 7.1% next year

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10344858.stm

This should be good news as, aside from making more people take up cycling, it means you can justify spending 7% more on bike stuff next year (although they'll probably cap the rise at 6% and claim they're doing everyone a big favour).

Unfortunately though also in the news today it sounds like anyone with a household income of £30k+ is not going to get child tax credit and VAT is certain to go up :cry:

Comments

• milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    TFL fares would need to go up by A LOT more then 7% to even out with my cycling gear spend (Zone 3 travelcard; compared annually).

Interestingly enough, the reason I started cycling to work was to save money...
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I hope for a 500% increase on public transport costs, I soooo need a Trek Madone :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Mind you, have you seen how much the prices of bike stuff has gone up lately?
    By comparison, 7% is nothing.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    trouble is bike stuff is imported so that'll rise too. TfL also has all the bonds to pay back that funded the big expansion (and bendy buses).

I saw in the paper yesterday that SW trains was getting money off HMG as passengar numbers had falled, but this was the same firm that increased prices previously to ease over crowding.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    In the past year the cost of petrol has gone up by at least 7% and the cost of the bus ticket from the park n ride in Taunton has gone up by 25%.
    It makes the £££ I spent on a new bike back in January seem sensible

If TFL only goes up by 7% you are having it easy in London
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    By riding all year round I'm making a saving of £2,824.80.

I could treat bikes as disposible, buying a new Ribble 7005 when the chain stretches and still save money.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I find it interesting that TfL choose to quote RPI (~5%) when deciding on the fares rise.

Every time I see negotiations for public sector pay they quote CPI (~3.5%).

I suppose they just choose whichever measure gives the most favourable result at the time.