what an idiot

karen44
karen44 Posts: 21
edited June 2010 in MTB general
i have been getting grinding noises coming from the bottom bracket area which seemed rather strange as the bike is a new trek 4500, i was going to take it back to the dealer for them to have a look at it as i have only done 400 miles. when i got the bike out to clean it the seat felt a bit loose on the rails so i made sure it was tight and hey presto when i went out on the bike again no more grinding noises. i could have sworn the noise was coming from the bottom bracket area as it was only happening when i was pedaling. but obviously the movement of my legs when pedalling was causing the noises. i feel a right idiot to be honest, has anyone else ever had a similar situation i would just like to know.

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    my mate is relatively experienced on his bike....but had wheel issues. Took it back to the shop and blew up at them........they simply did the QR up and left him red faced.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Happens all the time, creaks reverberate around the frame. So something wrong at the back wheel can sound like headset/BB troubles.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Yup. Have stripped the front end down completely and re-greased anything that moved to chase out a creak... turned out to be brake and gear cables rubbing :oops:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    How many examples do you want? I've a bucket load.

I try and KISS (keep it simple stupid) when I examine my bike, but not all the time. The worse example was on my old Rockhopper I used for commuting to work. Something was slipping the gears and chain. I pulled everything off, examined it, replaced chain and outer 42t cog...still a problem, I then couldn't get the gears to correctly work...DAMN!

....cut the rest of it out as you get the picture.

So, finally I took it to the LBS who immediately saw the problem. 7 Speed triggers and a 8 speed cassette. THEN I remembered I had had a puncture just after I setting off for work. As I was close to home I pushed it back and changed over my other MTB bike's rear wheel instead of a repair to inner. I then totally forgot. Bah!

Moral of the story, don't have a 7 speed V- braked, an 8 speed cable disk 160mm braked and a 9 speed 203 mmFR/180mm back Hydraulic braked mountain bikes as nothing is interchangeable.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    After a year of use, I've found out that I can change two gears up with one longer push on the shifter. :oops: :shock:
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    I fixed a puncture on my front tyre, rode up the road to the lights. They went from red to green and I powered off promptly loosing my front wheel and going over the bars, in front of a large crowd, not good. :oops: :oops:
    I have never again left my quick releases undone. : :roll:
    Don't think, BE:
  • jonnyc2420
    jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
    My Orange is in the shop having a new BB fitted as I type this for exactly the noise you described........

However now you've got me wondering.........

Did I check everything? :oops:

(to be fair its done 1500 ish mile though.! :roll:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Spent hours trying to find the source of a small 'knock' in the bb, eventually gave up and took it to the lbs. Got it back, he told me it had just been a pedal very very slightly loose. I felt slightly better when he said he'd taken the crankset off before he worked it out too.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I've had a slightly worrying tapping/knocking sound from the front of my EX since getting it, only experienced whenever i'm going over bumps, rocks or curbs. Been doing my nut in for months, to the point where I took the headset, fork and front wheel apart to diagnose the problem... Realised only last week it's the sound of the shifter cables bouncing and hitting the top of the fork legs. :oops:
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I've ridden with a guy who complained about a clicking noise coming from his cranks and had tried everything to locate the problem. Spotted right away that it was his laces slapping off the cranks. :lol:
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    My headset was creeking like mad on Friday. Stopped to check my headset and stem bolts but noticed the creek when I got off the bike... seat clamp!!! Them creeks move all over! :oops:
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Xtreem wrote:
    After a year of use, I've found out that I can change two gears up with one longer push on the shifter. :oops: :shock:

Only two? I'm fairly sure I can shift the entire cassette in two shifts- ie 4 shifts at a time.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Just dismantled the entire front end in search of a creak that was in fact caused by an undergreased seat post. Arrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Xtreem wrote:

Only two? I'm fairly sure I can shift the entire cassette in two shifts- ie 4 shifts at a time.
    Mine are SX-4, and I'm pretty sure that two is the max.
    I'm going to feel like a mega muppet if I can change more. Off to check. :shock:

EDIT//
    They were three.
    Every year I discover one more gear.
    icon_facepalm.gif
  • had an annoying crack/creak noise when applying pressure to pedals. stripped hole bike down everything of it, cleaned it all, found had a crack in the frame. damn.
    now ive got to see what can be done under warranty :(
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    My bike had been making a horrid and annoying creaking sound. At first I thought it was the frame, then the crank started to pull my hair out. Turns out it was just dust and grit on the seat post crunching against the frame.