Riding fixed: what am I missing?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi, it's Captain Contradiction here again.

Since announcing a month or so back that I didn't see the point in single-speeds I have been absolutely loving commuting on my, um, single-speed. I've had it set up on the freewheel while getting used to riding clipped in, but today, I finally flippity-flopped the rear wheel and tried my journey riding fixed. And you know what? I was decidedly unimpressed.

I couldn't enjoy my two decent declines for fear that my legs would be ripped from their sockets.
I had more close calls clipping out at junctions than all of the last several weeks of riding clipped-in put together.
I did not experience that 'oneness' between rider and bike. It more felt as though the bike was in charge of me.
I did not feel as though I could make last second - and potentially panicked - changes with the same fluidity as if I was riding on a freewheel.
I could not enjoy those sudden, aggressive bursts of power followed by moments of relaxed freewheeling that I enjoy about London riding.
My left knee began to feel a little uncomfortable when using my legs to slow.
It made me realise that on those occasions when I am shunted into the curb, I could not have adjusted my left crank so that the pedal could float above the curb and that in those situations things could get messy.

No, I'm not sure that riding fixed is for me. I guess I'll not be able to do those cool, sliding stops in the wet, but I'm sure I can live with that.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I did not feel as though I could make last second - and potentially panicked - changes with the same fluidity as if I was riding on a freewheel.
    I could not enjoy those sudden, aggressive bursts of power followed by moments of relaxed freewheeling that I enjoy about London riding.

For me, fixed is about planning ahead and riding as smoothly as possible which means planning ahead.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    I don't know how old you are, but I'm 38, and I learned to ride a bike when I was 3. For me, it's not a surprise if I'm not as familiar on day one riding fixed as I am after 35 years of riding freewheel. You might want to give it a day or two more.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I don't know how old you are, but I'm 38, and I learned to ride a bike when I was 3. For me, it's not a surprise if I'm not as familiar on day one riding fixed as I am after 35 years of riding freewheel. You might want to give it a day or two more.

On the other hand, i did some cycling when i was a kid, but didn't do it a gain till 2 years ago. Had a hybrid for 6 month then went fixed. Now gears feel foreign, and i have to really force myself to use my geared bike.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what do you expect? Just hopping onto a fixed gear bike?

It will take a period of adjustment, you become much more in tune with the bike, just easing off the gas to slow down and being really loose and spinny down hills. Then when you switch back you realise how much the clutch isolates you from the bike...
  • jonny_trousers
    Asprilla wrote:

For me, fixed is about planning ahead and riding as smoothly as possible which means planning ahead.

Sure, but so much of London riding is about observing and reacting, often within a split-second.

I'm 36 (40). Fair point and one backed up by me rubbishing single-speeds after just one ride.

I'm not really dismissing riding fixied and am not nearly arrogant enough to suggest I know best, but I just thought I would bore you all with my first reaction.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    but I just thought I would bore you all with my first reaction.

:lol: A job well done sir! :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Sure, but so much of London riding is about observing and reacting, often within a split-second.

Plenty. I (34) ride fixed in London in the winter and don't have any problems. When riding fixed I look further ahead, become more aware of the flow of traffic, light sequencing, etc. It's a different style of riding.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    No, I'm not sure that riding fixed is for me. I guess I'll not be able to do those cool, sliding stops in the wet, but I'm sure I can live with that.

top tip. you can still do those cool sliding stops in the wet or indeed the dry.

I have a lever just in front of my left grip. When I pull that lever...the back wheel stops moving round.

Its not as cool or funny when the front wheel stops moving though...nearly fallen off a couple of times!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I finally flippity-flopped the rear wheel and tried my journey riding fixed.
    That's the main reason I started off with two fixed cogs on the hub; go the whole hog with fixed wheel!
    I couldn't enjoy my two decent declines for fear that my legs would be ripped from their sockets.
    Spin those legs, and MTFU!
    I had more close calls clipping out at junctions than all of the last several weeks of riding clipped-in put together.
    Ah yes, that's a tricky one. I found that hard to begin with. Try loosening the clips until you're more used to it.
    Once you're come to a halt, apply the front brake and pedal back/forward to get you pedals in the right position for moving off again (applying the front brake will make the front wheel 'stick' to the ground, and will lift the rear off the ground; try it, it just kinda works.
    I did not experience that 'oneness' between rider and bike.
    You're far more one with the bike when it's fixed... Once you get used to it.
    Once I got used to it, the acceleration on a fixed feels far more sudden and exhilarating.
    Freewheeling? Freewheeling's for tourists!
    I had exactly the same issue. My conclusion is that the set-up of a fixed is far less forgiving than other bikes, and you'll need to adjust your saddle. I moved mine down a couple of milimeters and it solved the problem.
    It made me realise that on those occasions when I am shunted into the curb, I could not have adjusted my left crank so that the pedal could float above the curb and that in those situations things could get messy.
    It made me realise what narrow - and dangerous - gaps I used to squeeze through. That's all changed; down the outside of traffic now!
    I still can't do those; skid and fall off, that's what I do. But that's what I've always done!

Stick with the fixed for a while and you'll get used to it, and then you'll learn to love it!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

Don't do that.

Most (sensible) fixie riders have 2 brakes, so there's no need whatsoever to leg brake. Look up 'eccentric contraction' for explanation of why it's bad. I've ridden everywhere (in London) on a fixed for nearly 3 years, and barely used my legs to brake apart from teh first 3 weeks, which I spent crashing into things because I was relying on my legs as a brake. That was stupid of me. However, I do ride a big gear, which makes it harder to leg brake.

For going downhill, I just relax my legs and let the pedals carry my feet around. It's quite relaxing really. As far as the clipping goes, don't worry about it, it'll come. I tend to stop a little before stop lines etc, as I know how far a pedal revolution will take me, and with panniers on the pack I can't spin the pedals at all.

Don't give up on fixed just yet!
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185

Stick with it! This is exactly how I felt when I first went fixed, but after a week or so you'll get used to it. A few weeks more and you'll love it! Theres nothing better than riding fixed to improve your pedalling style, and nothing better than smoothly spinning at cadences that would have most geared roadies bouncing about in the saddle!
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks kids! That's kind of the support I was after, although, I have a sneaking suspician that I could kick the arse out of a fixie rider when on freewheel, but that is by-the-by. The joy in planning ahead is all well and good (a bit like getting your tax return in early), but scalping is so much sweeter :)
  • Hi, it's Captain Contradiction here again.

Since announcing a month or so back that I didn't see the point in single-speeds I have been absolutely loving commuting on my, um, single-speed. I've had it set up on the freewheel while getting used to riding clipped in, but today, I finally flippity-flopped the rear wheel and tried my journey riding fixed. And you know what? I was decidedly unimpressed.

I did not experience that 'oneness' between rider and bike. It more felt as though the bike was in charge of me.

This is more or less how I feel about it. Fixed takes the fun & utility out of the bike. IMHO that is....
  • jonny_trousers

This is more or less how I feel about it. Fixed takes the fun & utility out of the bike. IMHO that is....

Interesting! Looking forward to the replies. Next you will be telling us that teenie-tiny straight bars do not make you a better urban rider.
  • jonny_trousers
    Right, so I just rode home having flopped my flip back to freewheel and the weirdest thing happened: not only did I feel a lot more in control of my machine, not only did I shave a good six minutes off my journey without actually trying (this is the leg with the inclines rather than the declines), but I actually managed to plan ahead and ride smoothly! No really! I saw red lights a good thirty metres ahead and I was able to slow up way in advance. Don't quote me on this, but I reckon this new-fangled freewheel gubbins may just take off.

I am, of course, taking the piss, but if you believe the fixie cause is worth fighting then argue me up byatches. So far I am left utterly unconvinced.

P&L
  • SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    LIT - if you're not going to use your legs to brake, why on earth ride fixed at all? The singular advantage it gives you is the ability to regulate your speed via your legs.

Monsieur Trousers - I am so far unconverted too; the fixed gear bikes I have owned simply didn't fit or suit my preferred riding position well enough. Before I give in altogether though, I'll build one that fits, and ride it for at least a couple of weeks. If it's still less fun than single speed, I'll quit. You bought a bike with a flip-flop hub, and you flip-flopped it; that suggests to me that part of you wants to like it, or at least understand. If that's the case, give it a little longer. A lot of people give up cycling after the first ride or two, because it's too hard; this could be the same. If you truly don't care, leave it freewheel side out, and never look back.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Well having ridden fixed (with a front brake) for 2 years I'm yet to feel any so called oneness. I don't think it makes you plan further ahead either. It's not as if it's actually hard to stop and start again. Of course riding brakeless may be another issue as I can see how you'd constantly be alert and scared to pick up any speed if you're scared of not being able to stop. I enjoy riding my fixed gear bike but I won't kid myself that it's any sort of spiritual experience.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    LIT - if you're not going to use your legs to brake, why on earth ride fixed at all? The singular advantage it gives you is the ability to regulate your speed via your legs.

There is a difference to regulating your speed riding fixed and braking to come to a complete stop. As for clipping in, you just become more concious of where to stop to have the pedals in the correct place. The only time I hit trouble is when having to stop in traffic and then everything moving off before i've sorted myself out. I cope fine using Look cleats where you only have one side of the pedal to clip into...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    So far I am left utterly unconvinced.

Yeah.

Give up.

Unclipping is so hard to do without falling off etc etc etc

It's not worth mastering anything new - that's why I only eat pureed food.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    LIT - if you're not going to use your legs to brake, why on earth ride fixed at all? The singular advantage it gives you is the ability to regulate your speed via your legs. ....

If you feel this way then fixed is not for you, I think.

Personally, I enjoy riding fixed more. I find the simplicity and direct connection to the road means that I enjoy the sensation of riding a bike more with a fixed gear than without.

It's a personal thing, though not uncommon from what I've read.

There's one other important point to bear in mind: If you ride SS rather than fixed you will never escape the niggling doubt that you may actually be a Wuss.

Cheers,
    W.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

I disagree wholeheartedly!

Other advantages include:

Fitness improvement - you can't stop pedalling so you don't!

Improved bike control - others may disagree but after a good few years of riding fixed I find it much easier to manoeuvre the bike at low speed than with a freewheel.

Improved pedalling technique - again, there's been debate, but, ignoring the minority, general consensus seems to be that fixed helps with technique.

Better 'connection' with the bike. This is a bit intangible, but I do feel more connected.

Better speed - the bike is helping you with the lifting of your leg.

And it's more fun than riding with a freewheel!

Frankly, my (informed) opinion is that there's really little point in using your legs to brake when you've got 2 far more effective brakes attached to your bars. Stopping really going for it and relaxing your legs to go from high speed to less high speed is fine, obv, but actually resisting the pedals with your legs is a stupid idea. Especially if you're on a gear like the one I ride.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    LiT is absolutely right. The fact you can leg brake on a fixie is almost irrelevant. The most skilled riders can incorporate that into their riding for extra control but - and this is the key - you don't need to! You have brakes!

I only have a front brake but find that does me fine. I also almost never use my legs to brake - I only skid stop in the garage under my office where the floor is really smooth and no-one else is around :)

The original poster's expectation that, on his first ride, his fixie would feel completely instinctive AND give him all these semi-muthical advantages is strange - surely he's read enough to know you can't just get on a fixed-wheel bike and expect it to feel the same. I HATED my first (10-mile, rush-hour) ride on my fixie - it took two or three short, safe rides around my neighbourhood to gain any kind of confidence and then what really made me appreciate it was LiT taking me for a couple of laps of Richmond Park - safe but challenging riding with advice whenever I needed it.

Once you get used to the fact the bike has a say in how its ridden, and the ever-rotating cranks become intuitive, you'll be able to control it just as easily as a freewheel bike with the added advantage of closer control via the pedals to whatever extent you want it.
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    the only disadvantage to riding fixed gear is that the trend has ade everything so damned expensive.
    it used to be DIRT cheap but not so any more, so many companies jumping on the band wagon has pushed prices up where the cost saving isnt true anymore. :cry:

can you tell mine died and i need to buy new?
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Interesting thread.
    Mine's going to have two brakes as the front will be caliper and not hub brake as originally intended so i'm going to match it at the rear.
    There does seem to be a hard core of totally brakeless riders though, maybe more in America? They must have a different philosophy of the 'at one with the bike' thing.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I like the simplicity of fixed. Especially the maintenance aspect over winter
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    biondino wrote:
    ...what really made me appreciate it was LiT taking me for a couple of laps of Richmond Park - safe but challenging riding with advice whenever I needed it.
    Was she also a little stern and admonishing, but not in an altogether bad way, when you got it wrong?
  • asprilla
    I like the simplicity of fixed. Especially the maintenance aspect over winter

I would love to say this was the case fo me but since I put the bike together myself the maintenance is frequent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Took me about 2 weeks of daily commuting to get used to it. That was about 5 years back, and I see absolutely no point in going back to SS+freewheel commuting.

Once you get used to it, you can flow in traffic so well on a fixie, compared to an SS. The annoyong bit is you lose a bit of downhill speed and you can't just chuck the bike into a corner at some daft lean angle.

Trackstands are dead easy which is a major advantage.

No back brake here, but a very well used front one!
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    I've been riding single speed over the last 12 months and love it... only one gear, less maintenance etc etc. However, I've also got a fixed cog on my flip flop rear hub so decided to give the whole fixed thing a go... IMO it's a load of b***ox for anyone to suggest that riding fixed is in any way enjoyable. I find the single speed freewheel option far more enjoyable, safer and easier. Riding a fixed is like riding an out of control bucking broncho. The words: bloody lethal spring to mind. But, hey ho, if alll those saddos out there who swear by riding fixed insist on deluding themselves that riding fixed is being 'at one' with the bike then let them!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....