New Bike - Gears

DoodleUK
DoodleUK Posts: 48
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hi,
Finally got a new mountain bike but ever since delivery and the first use i have had a problem with the gears. It shifts fine on downshifts on the rear gearset but pushing the lever to shift up on the rear gearset does very little and often requires shifting up two gears to make the rear derailleur engage on a larger cog. I understand that cables can stretch etc. but this has been a problem since first use. Please advise.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cables can bed in straight away - so you ned to adjust them.

Park Tools hs a guide, but it sounds like you need to add tesnion via the shifter barrel adjuster. Turn anti clockwise half a turn at a time until they are smooth again.

This is assuming the limit stops are correct.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Push the lever to change up, then push it again (without clicking) and hold. I can't remember what it is called but I remember reading somewhere that this is normal operation.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    That may work but it's hardly 'normal' operation. And the likely hood of teh chain slipping a cog just as you unsaddle to get some power down will happen and will annoy you and will hurt at times. Sort the gearing out using Park tools as SS suggested. I did this on the weekend and it wasn't too difficult.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    JonnyN wrote:
    Push the lever to change up, then push it again (without clicking) and hold. I can't remember what it is called but I remember reading somewhere that this is normal operation.

:?:
    ????
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    If you check parktools and it doesn't make too much sense to you, I would recommend taking it to wherever you bought it from (for what should be an inclusive 6 week-ish service,) and get them to sort it whilst you watch & listen. Its what I did and made it much easier to understand with someone in the know explaining it as they went along. They do make it sound terribly easy though!