Right or Wrong .

postman
postman Posts: 120
edited June 2010 in The workshop
Two months ago my retired mate invested £200.And had his local bike shop put on a Shimano Sora Compact

Well one of the cranks has fallen off seven times .

He fell off in Yorek last week and broke two ribs .A local bike shop put it back on and he managed to get home slowly ,but it fell off once more .

The bike shop he bought it from and who fitted it .How now had a second go at a repair .

Fixing it on with a LOCKTITE adhesive .Now i say that is so wrong .So much so that i have sent an e-mail to Shimano here in the UK to seek their advice ,on the best way to deal with this problem .

What is everyones opinion on this .Should a new compact be fitted free of charge/

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    What KIND of Locktite? It's not just glue they make. It's common practice in the bike and automotive trade to use thread sealers like http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/sts-EN.PDF

The bolts holding brake rotors onto mtb wheels usually have thread sealant for example.

It stops the bolt coming undone in safety critical applications of places where it could ruin an engine if it fell into moving parts.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ScaldedCat
    ScaldedCat Posts: 111
    I wonder what the heck is wrong for a crank arm to fall off a new chainset once let alone seven times! :shock:
    Also I hope your friend wasn't charged the whole £200 for the chainset and fitting.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it a sqaure taper? Or even octalink?

The crank arm is most likely now dead. Once it has fallen off a few times, or even once, the hard steel axle deforms the soft alloy. It won't go back on properly and will need replacing.

Periodically check the torque of your crank bolts to stop this happening in the first place.